a message from the first guy to complete the Challenge

36 leg Achievement
Keith Smith

a message from the first guy to complete the Challenge

Post by Keith Smith »

And now, a message from Brian...
Though I do visit the forums, I’m not a member. Nevertheless, I thought to share some of my experience with the Alphabet Challenge. (2015)

First, it’s a real challenge, not only in preparation and execution, but also in endurance. (Finishing what you start.) More importantly, though, it was fun and well worth it. With each flight I tried to pick up and learn something new. Although I’ve not been a member of any other on-line flying community, (except
for Strike Fighters back in 2001ish,) I can’t imagine a better format than PilotEdge to host this type of event.

My dad said I was born out of time. What he meant was that I had an affection for aircraft that were long out of date. For this Challenge I used FSX, (not steam,) the MilViz T-38 and Ant's T-28 Trojan. Both are right up my alley; no GPS and no autopilot. The T-38 is one of my top five favorite airframes and I had hoped to finish the Challenge in that model. But that would not have been realistic and I don’t think it would have been in keeping with the spirit of the challenge. (Watch out P/E, Milviz is near completion on an F-100D...no more 300kias speed restriction for me!)

I encourage everyone using PilotEdge to complete the challenge. If it’s something that you think is beyond you, then start slow. P/E has numerous resources that gradually stage you up from beginner to more advanced flying. If you need to, finish the VFR ratings, then do one or two Alphabets VFR. Then move into the I-ratings. I wouldn’t recommend racing through the challenge like I did. (I just happened to have the time available.) Even though I prepared for each flight, (my average was 35 minutes prep for each challenge,) by the end I felt like I had Marty Feldman eyes. (Where am I...is this Mormon Mesa VOR or Gorman? What’s the ILS freq. for Ocotillo? What does this button do?) If you can make the time, I would recommend one challenge per week. Barring life’s usual interruptions, this may offer enough time to plan and then fly the challenge. If one week is too tight, then try one week for planning and a second week to fly. However you decide to manage the time, though, finish the Alphabet Challenge. I noticed for me, that because of the layered experience, it took less and less time to prepare with fewer surprises each flight. But preparation is key.

First I decided whether the flight would be VFR or IFR, then I was able to trim the preparation down to AWARE. (For me preparation was the most enjoyable, I’m a bit OCD,)
A – Aircraft; Type, condition, fuel up-load, and cockpit preparation.
W – Weather; Current, En-route, forecast.
A – Airport and Alternate, (if needed.) SID’s STARS, and Approach plate, TPA, airport layout.
R- Route/Restrictions; how will I get there? Airspace, Alert, MOA’s, Restricted, TFR, Class airspaces.
For this, PEAware and SkyVector rock.
E- Emergency- Where can I land if the airplane gives up the ghost? (In the T-38, that was easy, Eject.)

Because neither model has autopilot I have to divide my time between massaging level flight, scanning, and navigating. After a while you begin to know the quirks of the airplane and just work around its faults. For the T-38, if I stayed below 360kias or .8 Mach number I could usually timeshare my scan between trimming and navigating fairly easily. In the T-28, it was easier to trim and occasionally I found a sweet spot that allowed for other cockpit duties with little or no excursion from route or altitude, (barring any turbulence.) For both, I pre-planned climb and descent profiles to eliminate guesswork.

But even on the fly you can still figure out these values fairly quickly. (Altitude to lose ÷ descent rate x nautical miles per minute = distance at which climb or descent must begin.) Before each flight I reviewed SID’s, Stars, approach and missed approach. I flew these in my mind and became familiar so that when ATC said, “Pacer38, turn left heading 1-5-0, join the departure, resume own navigation.” I didn’t have to respond with, “umm...what?” On VFR flights I used little or no flight following. (Something I don’t recommend.) For me though, especially on the long hauls, I spend time flipping through P/E frequencies listening to the various exchanges. For newer users, I strongly recommend learning, understanding, and using the correct lingo. Learn to keep transmissions accurate and concise. Even when you have time
alone, practice the correct phraseology for a particular request, or how you would respond to ATC.

I also don’t recommend flying into or out of the Alphabet Challenge airports beforehand, or off line. Study the departure and arrival airport before the flight, learn its layout, traffic patterns, surroundings, and the direction from which you approach the airfield. Then go fly the challenge. Let your first trip into the airport be on-line and as part of the challenge. Let it be a surprise. Each airport has its own difficulties. Learn to manage these difficulties in real-time with safety of flight always in view. This will vastly improve decision making skills for future challenges.

And, believe it or not, practice flying into and out of some airfields without any ATC involvement. This will cause you not to rely on ATC to get you out of a fix. Instead, it forces you to study your route of flight, surrounding airspaces, and form a plan of action into and out of unfamiliar territory. I did just that in the T-38 on this flight from NV11 to KTOA. Throughout the flight I had to remain clear of restricted airspace, Class Bravo, C, and D, without violation to arrive safely at Torrance. Also, don’t hesitate to stretch your comfort zone. Hand flying the T-38 on the Kayoh Arrival is very difficult for me. But each time I fly it, I try to go a little faster.

Finally, have fun with the Alphabet Challenge. Don’t let it become a chore, or a burden. It’s intended to be fun. For some time Todd Payne and I were neck and neck. We even met up with each other during the challenge at KWJF. He keyed up and said, “Eat my dust.” To which I responded, “Bite me.” And of course, ATC, not missing a beat chimed in with, “Ah...can’t you feel the love?”

So, go out and plan, prepare, imagine, and execute the Alphabet Challenge. Hopefully you will have it completed before Alphabet Challenge 2016.

Lates...

Mud

Some Stats:
Challenge Start: 1/25/15
Challenge End: 2/08/15
15 Days - (2.4 flights/day.)
Total Dist.: 6,048.4 nm
Total Fuel: 5,395.1 Gals.
Total Time: 23.2 Hrs.

T-38 Talon
Miles Flown: 2,978.1
Fuel Used: 30,331.6 Lbs. (4,527.1 Gals @1.5 nm/gal.)
Flight Time: 584 Mins. (9.7 Hrs.)

T-28 Trojan
Miles Flown: 3,070.3
Fuel Used: 868 Gals. (3.5 nm/gal.)
Time: 814 Mins (13.5 Hrs.)
Talan2000

Re: a message from the first guy to complete the Challenge

Post by Talan2000 »

Excellent writeup and insights for how to make the most of the Alphabet Challenge,

I am most impressed that Brian flew all of these flight without an autopilot. I didn't realize that T-38, at least, did not have one. Hard to imagine having to constantly hand fly a supersonic capable jet.

Great advice on the flight planning. I probably put about half the time into flight prep that Brian did, and I'm sure it showed. Maybe I'm just faster though :) And I made copious use of the autopilot and occasional use of the GPS.

I knew from Brian's response to my jibe at General Fox, that it was on, and that this would probably be the last flight that I ever held the lead for unless I switched to a T-2...In keeping with the trainer theme. I Took off in a King Air C90 with a 30NM lead and watched in horror as his T-28 ate up my headstart with about 15-30 Kts of overtake. I made a bet that he would follow the airway though, and I pulled out the win on that leg by cutting the corner and going direct to Chemehuevi through the MOA (not the restricted area). Landed about 10-minutes ahead of him as he stayed on the airway - and I can certainly understand why he wouldn't want to dead reckon through the MOA to save a few minutes in the race.

For those who want a picture of what Brian looks like enroute - I snapped this pic on the ground at Chemehuevi, savoring what turned out to be my last victory:
Rascal..JPG
Rascal..JPG (73.2 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
I laughed too. Apparently the mighty Trojan is rendered as a pint sized V-tail bonanza. Something definitely lost in translation.

All hail the champion!

Todd