Alphabet Challenge Leg 24 K49X - NV11

36 leg Achievement
Peter Grey

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 24 K49X - NV11

Post by Peter Grey »

They'd never get me, I'm far too sneaky. Nap of the earth flying. 10 minute flight. I doubt they have very good radar coverage in that area and even in the unlikely event they scrambled an F16 from Nellis or NAS Fallon they'd never see me or get to me in time :)
I got my PPL out of VGT and the practice area was abeam that restricted airspace. One of the local pilots got violated for a .06 NM infringement. That's all I have on that.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Peter:

Is the use of the word 'violated' deliberate because...wow...oh man...wow...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Violated is the aviation term for an infraction that the FAA takes action on. That's the sense I meant it in.
Peter Grey
peter@pilotedge.net
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Shoulda turned off his transponder :)

But seriously, you must mean 0.6NM not .06nm -- that's 300 feet!
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

But seriously, you must mean 0.6NM not .06nm -- that's 300 feet!
The local story was .06 NM. Of course this was third hand passed down to a nearly new student pilot by a CFI, so who knows how accurate it is.

I only tell it to demonstrate that yes they have radar coverage in that area.

Gotta track the aliens somehow. :mrgreen:
Peter Grey
peter@pilotedge.net
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

LOL.

Student pilots training near a restricted area being told about .06nm violations...It's all clear now :)

Todd

PS Let's remember that I am the guy saying DON'T GO IN HERE! I don't know how I have become the poster boy for Restricted Area "illegal activities" -- I had to edit that several times in light of Steve's comments. lol :)
wmburns

FSE charter flight to NV11

Post by wmburns »

Took a 5 PAX FSE charter from Los Angeles (KLAX) to Yucca Airstrip (NV11). A different flight for me on a number of levels. First VFR departure from KLAX. First long VFR flight on PE.

Here's the flight on PEaware.

http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=91638

The controller was quite helpful once I explained that I that I had the owner's permission to land at NV11 (FSE PAX charter).

Decided to navigate by passing over Dessert Rock (NV65) and then North following the road and power lines. I had actually flown some offline practice landings at NV11 so I knew the strip was between a small hill and a dry salt lake bed. So it was actually easy to locate visually. Knowing the strip surface was very rough, set up a little lower/slower approach to the runway. Having a lower energy approach really reduced the speed at touch down and made the roll out much shorter. However there's no way around it. That is one rough surface!
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

What a lovely flight - from nowhere to nowhere! I used Carenado's 1.1 version of the Malibu, which I'd put two new 430s into with Plane-Maker. So much easier to handle,IMO, with the X-Plane manipulators than the scroll wheel. Even with the "double function" scroll or drag in the v3, I find it trickier. My old girl does what I tell it to, so I'm waiting patiently for the 3.1 versions to finally emerge. Even then, I may take some persuading to switch.

I flew this one VFR. Easier.
So, from the outset, I asked LA Center to see whether they could get permission for me to go into the restricted areas, but was advised that I should wait till Las Vegas Approach was dealing with me, and they would try and handle it - which they did, with aplomb. They even managed to get Nellis to agree to let me squeeze through the corner of R-4806W, so I wouldn't have to add a dog-leg into NV11. I had permission for R-4808N and R-4808S (which is where NV11 is), so all bases were covered. Nellis Approach were very helpful. Once I had earlier explained that I was testing an "advanced dooblefreeber", the Air Force were obviously impressed :D

So, from 12500" (to stay out of the KLAS Bravo, and to keep me above some quite high mountains), I descended to NV11. Knowing that there was a slight tail wind, I decided not to worry, as there was no one about at all (Nellis had told me there was no one around, before terminating radar service), you can't speak to anybody, we have a 9000' gravel runway, and it was almost a straight in for 34. I landed the Malibu easily, and the gravel slowed me down as forecast! I closed my VFR plan with Nellis, for the sake of completeness.

Well, there's not a lot to do here........... Luckily, I have enough fuel to get out again. I'll just do my "testing" and get going. :lol: