Alphabet Challenge Leg 24 K49X - NV11

36 leg Achievement
Talan2000

Alphabet Challenge Leg 24 K49X - NV11

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

Ok, to be honest, I think this airport isn't the best choice of fields for the alphabet challenge as it's not really realistic. I mean, everybody knows I'm game for an airspace violation, but we are definitely stepping it up a notch with this one...
http://peaware.pilotedge.net/citypair.c ... 9X&to=NV11

Nothing says good times like flying into and through a continuously operating Restricted area that is laced with unexploded ordnance, fake airfields, and other general unpleasantness.
Boom!
Boom!
Restricted.JPG (182.66 KiB) Viewed 9971 times
Ok, ok, R4808N doesn't specifically get the "things that blow up" disclaimer but close enough for government work.

Situation:
Better file VFR for this one boys. Or better yet DON'T file at all (Alas you must in order to meet the newly formalized rules) :) Just for fun, I asked LA Center to confirm the status of the Restricted area in question R-4808N and they reported back what is listed on the chart, unsurprisingly. Real world, we aren't going to NV11. Ever. Ok ok in theory you can call the controlling agency freq. and beg, but that isn't modeled/monitored in PE so save yourself some groveling and start scheming how you are going to get there...like I said, if it's IMC forget it as you aren't getting a flight plan approved through R4808N. More fun today was a SIGMET for severe/moderate turbulence. I did my part for the cause by filing a PIREP for moderate turbulence but it was probably just bad airmanship. So hard to tell.

In retrospect I should have filed at 8500 so I could practice getting clearance through a B, but I decided to just avoid KLAS Bravo at 12500. Getting through KLAS B seems to be piece of cake vs LAX B though, so give it a shot if you want.

Lessons Learned: Desert Rock Camouflage: Ok since we're basically Area 51 hunting on this one, I made it a point to cancel flight following well in advance. Then to remain at altitude and commence a low approach into Desert Rock (NV65) just outside the R4808N to give the appearance of landing there. In the low approach to NV65 I started squawking O-F-F and turned directly north. You won't see the relatively huge dirt strip as you head north because it is screened by a moderately big hill (teeny mountain). As you near it get to pattern altitude and set up for left base (if landing north). The field is visible instantly once you cross the ridge. I had strong 90 degree crosswinds today and I wonder what that ridge would do in real life with winds whipping up and over it. Or maybe it would shield the field. It seemed to do the latter as I didn't put much if any crosswind technique into it to land in a swirling cloud of beta blown sand.

Google maps shows that "somebody" has built a nice paved strip just east of the sand strip (01-19) . No idea what goes on there. Your guess is as good as mine.

Todd
wmburns

ways to get in/out of NV11

Post by wmburns »

I'm very interested in figuring out ways to get into and out of NV11 while on PE without being disruptive. Why? Because there are a ton of FSE jobs going to/from NV11 and it's a very easy way to find a 5 PAX load to fill up my Barron 58.

What is PilotEdge official/unofficial policy on how to conduct flights to/from NV11?

Note that NV11 appears four times in the top 20 to/from pairs in the PE coverage area.
TOTAL PAY to/from pair A-B distance
$15,336.00 - KNJK/NV11 - 247 NM
$14,825.00 - KSBA/NV11 - 240 NM
$12,978.00 - KRIV/NV11 - 193 NM
$12,656.00 - KBUR/NV11 - 200 NM

See for more information.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4890

According to Wikipedia NV11 was originally used as a staging area for Operation Upshot–Knothole series of nuclear tests done in 1953. According to Wikipedia the asphalt runway was constructed in 2002 as part of an unmanned aerial vehicle test facility. So one should be on the look out for Predator drones.

Yucca Airstrip (NV11)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Airstrip

Operation Upshot–Knothole was a series of eleven nuclear test shots conducted in 1953 at the Nevada Test Site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_ ... 93Knothole
Last edited by wmburns on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 24 K49X - NV11

Post by Keith Smith »

We support FSE, so if the premise is that these are actual charter jobs in and out of that field, it would be logical that you would be granted the If we're simulating charter jobs in and out of that field, then we can assume the following requirement has been met:
OFFICIAL BUSINESS ONLY. PPR RQRD FROM DEPT OF ENERGY FOR ALL FLIGHTS.
Since we don't simulate the positions that actually control those restricted airspaces, I think it would just be sufficient to cancel whatever advisory services you have prior to entering the restricted airspace, then do your own thing.

PG, if you have a different take on it, fire away.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

PG, if you have a different take on it, fire away.
Nope that's the way I see it working for the most part. You can keep advisories if you like, and if the controller brings it up I'd just mention you have "prior permission". That should be the end of it.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Thanks Keith and Peter. I figured that you would have a "take" on this that fit in with PE operations. I certainly didn't think about conducting a charter operation as meeting the requirement for prior approval.

From the opening post it didn't seem like a good idea from a ADM perspective to turn off the transponder. Makes far more sense to conduct the flight following full VFR rules.

Looks like there's some good virtual $$'s to be made flying in/out the Area 51 spotters. Now I just have to finish flying my new Baron from the KORD area to the SoCal area. I'm currently having a time finding paying jobs going west bound from the KORD area. I'm trying to avoid flying a load of "post holes" across a long distance.

To Talan2000, Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

No worries, now I'm going to run off and fly a bunch of FSE flights into NV11 -- time to cash in! :)

All this is make believe of course, so pretending to be an authorized DOE Charter is every bit as valid as pretending to sneak into the Restricted area unauthorized.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If anyone thinks that turning off a transponder is going to allow you to 'sneak' into R-4808N, I'd also suggest you simulate being intercepted and eventually shot down for full realism. We can always remove your left and/or right wing in X-Plane from the scope to help with that simulation. :)
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

They'd never get me, I'm far too sneaky. Nap of the earth flying. 10 minute flight. I doubt they have very good radar coverage in that area and even in the unlikely event they scrambled an F16 from Nellis or NAS Fallon they'd never see me or get to me in time :)
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Talan2000 wrote:I doubt they have very good radar coverage in that area
On that front, I suspect you are dead wrong, in every sense of the phrase :)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Before this thread devolves too far into the Netherlands, I have a quick flight planning question. Can an airport be listed as a way point as part of an IFR flight plan? Say for example navigated to Desert Rock (NV65) and then went to the destination airport?