Alphabet Challenge Leg 25 NV11 - KTOA

36 leg Achievement
Talan2000

Alphabet Challenge Leg 25 NV11 - KTOA

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

Hopefully you avoided getting shot down on your entry into NV11 either by sneaking in, or, and this is apparently the preferred method as someone dug up that DOE owns the area, towing a 20'x20' banner with a picture of this guy as your entry pass:
The Honorable Dr. Moniz
The Honorable Dr. Moniz
SECEN.JPG (93.04 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Whatever works for you. Do it again on your way out. Fortunately, I survived to tell the tale. http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=88303

Situation:
Other than the fictional nature of flying in and out of a restricted area (I don't advise it), this is a pretty straightforward flight. I flew VFR - again you're not filing out of a restricted area airport - and headed out. Navigating the KLAX B is your biggest concern. I got FF and advised my destination and willingness to overfly the B. Not surprisingly they weren't going to let me in the B. So I executed the plan and overflew at 12.5 then 10.5 Bravo's a piece of cake when you are above it.

Plan was to descend over the ocean and circle back to KTOA under the Bravo. Last minute ATC cleared me through the last shell past SLI for the descent which was nice. I did my standard chop and drop descent and turned NW for a straight in to 29R KTO. Easy peasy.

Lessons Learned:
Don't fly into or out of restricted areas without permission or at least a very nice and large banner.
Todd
flyingdrill

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 25 NV11 - KTOA

Post by flyingdrill »

This was a great flight. I was waiting for quite a while at NV11 before I got my clearance, as the controller was really busy. I offered to forget it and do it on another occasion, but he said that was not necessary. So, I was ready to go, but that Malibu did not want to get up to speed on the gravel. I used my best efforts at a soft field take off, and eventually unstuck the wheels,and got away, but it was not great..... Clearing the surrounding high ground, I then got into a proper climb, and we were off! I was given a couple of shortcuts, which definitely shaved some time off, as I had a headwind for quite a lot of the trip. As I got into California, I had some thunder and lightning, courtesy of X-Plane! The sun was going down, and I was turning towards Torrance, with a sunset over the water. Lovely. X-Plane at its best.

As I got established on the ILS for 29R, darkness was falling, and the airport beacon and runway lights beckoned. I (of course) had been cleared for the approach, and was handed off to the tower on 124.0, but I received no reply. I tried the other Tower frequency of 133.075 - nothing! By then, I was on short final. I made the decision to land. After all, I was IFR and I could see the runway was clear, and no one was at or near the threshold. With lost comms, once you are on the approach, you are expected to land, so I did!

At first I thought I had just got disconnected from PE, but I then heard other voices on the frequency, and so called the controller again, who apologized for the PE communications problem, which was due to the existing Tower controller going off, and he was taking that position over as well! Taxi instructions followed, and I completed a fabulous flight. Thanks PE!
Talan2000

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 25 NV11 - KTOA

Post by Talan2000 »

Good choice to land. Nice flight. T