Alphabet Challenge Leg 28 K1L1 - K207

36 leg Achievement
Talan2000

Alphabet Challenge Leg 28 K1L1 - K207

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

Situation:
This is a great desert flight because it requires a bit of navigation (pilotage) and decision making -- how are you going to avoid the restricted areas - what's the best way to get over the mountains and into that valley for landing -- go north or go around to the south? Go direct to the NAVAID or visually navigate through the valleys? What are the winds doing? I've read that for every 10kts of wind over the tops of moutains you can get 200FPM downdrafts/updrafts if you are less than 2000 above. I'm a sea level flier so crossing mountains up close always gets my attention. Fun stuff.
http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=88544

Lessons Learned:
Dead Reckoning Isn't Dead: Ok you don't absolutely have to dead reckon - certainly not in the age of GPS, but it will definitely work here. Especially as there are some reception issues with Tonopah (TPH). I didn't pick it up until 42DME out. In fact, tiring of not receiving it I dialed up Coaldale (OAL) and got it 92DME away. Perhaps time to open up x-plane's innards again and adjust the reception range. Still it was fun wondering when it would appear.

Phantom TNX: GPS shows that there is a VORTAC (or TACAN I forget the symbol) but there isn't one on the chart. I've never seen an example of this - even if the field is restricted the navaids aren't and they're useful for emergencies or just plane jane pilotage...Not sure what the story is. Just happened to see the symbology on the gps and wonder...

Mountains Block Electromagnetic Energy: Kinda like the aforementioned "poor radar coverage" in a previous area...BIH is hard to pick up due to the mountains. I got it only about 30DME east.

K2O7 A small gotcha in the name. Is it a ZERO or AN Oh. If you can't dial it up in your gps, you've got the wrong one. Oh and Right traffic.

Regards

Todd
flyingdrill

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 28 K1L1 - K207

Post by flyingdrill »

Very, very windy today. Good flight. I filed IFR. I intercepted the V244 and then was told to contact a controller when I got to TPH at 14000'. The Malibu was getting a 230+ ground speed as I started away from TPH. I discussed with the controller how I would get to 2O7, by using an IFR waypoint which took me to Deep Spring Lake, after which I would go through a gap in the high ground, and head for the Tinemaha reservoir, after which I could follow the road down to the field. I was advised to say when I had the field in sight, and was later asked if I was cancelling IFR. I should definitely have done this a bit earlier, as I was descending below the minimum vectoring altitude (I had to, else I would have had to do a dive bomber approach or spiral down). I did contact the controller a minute or so later, and said I was cancelling, but got no response. I tried again, but nothing. I went to the advisory, landed (and WOW, was it gusting!), and then got the controller easily. He admonished me, quite correctly, because I was in violation by not cancelling before I started my descent. Oh dear. I'd been listening to someone busting the Class Bravo, and someone else who had been doing something wrong, and then I screwed up a bit at the end of my flight. I was safe, but was kicking myself...... I should know better.