love content -- POV camera not so much

Real World VFR, IFR and Coast to Coast discussion area
waynemcc

love content -- POV camera not so much

Post by waynemcc »

Keith, I absolutely love and learn from your videos, the Real World IFR series especially. But I must say that, being prone to motion sickness from first-person-shooter video games, I'm not able to watch your live flights start-to-stop. Your sim flights, with stationary camera angles, were of course just fine.
Looking forward to many many more PilotEdge videos, and would prefer to see aircraft-fixed camera operations (e.g. GoPros with RAM mounts).
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Private Pilot (VFR only), Diamond Star DA40-XLS, Carson City NV (KCXP)
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws Trips | Flying Doctors Trips | Angel Flight Trips
Keith Smith

Re: love content -- POV camera not so much

Post by Keith Smith »

Thank you for the feedback, Wayne. I agree that the POV has pros and cons. I have many hours of static camera footage and think there are pros and cons to both. The advantage to the current model is that you have a sense of what I'm looking at any given time (not allowing for the fact that my eyes also move independently of my head, of course). The disadvantage is that if you're prone to motion sickness, it's a bit rough, I agree.

Ideally, we'd have a blend of both. Initial tests with a gopro fixed to the canopy were rough, there's too much vibration. I am considering a chest-mounted forward looking camera, though. That way, my muscular frame *cough* can absorb much of the vibration and we'll have a good fixed shot of the panel.
waynemcc

Re: love content -- POV camera not so much

Post by waynemcc »

Thanks, Keith, for the thoughtful reply.
Keep up the great work!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Private Pilot (VFR only), Diamond Star DA40-XLS, Carson City NV (KCXP)
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws Trips | Flying Doctors Trips | Angel Flight Trips