Remote Coaching now available

schwed

Re: Remote Coaching now available

Post by schwed »

For better or worse, it is not possible to log time on a sim towards a certificate (i.e PPL), rating (i,e IR) or instrument experience recency without having a CFI physically present. And although that may change some day, I don't expect the FAA to do this anytime soon.

Lets keep in mind that the "minimum" hours required for a certificate or a rating are far from what is really needed to be proficient. Single pilot IFR with only 40 hours of simulated instrument time under the hood is probably a good way to get yourself killed.... in my opinion.

In any case, I don't think the inability to log time negates the benefits and convenience of having an instructor "virtually" sitting next to you, in the comfort of your own home, at a time of your convenience and for a VERY reasonably price. Remember this is ONE on ONE instruction.

I've searched all over for similar services. So I was very happy when Keith announced it. And I think it's killer! It's not about logging time, it's about learning to fly IFR from highly qualified instructors without paying for a plane and without leaving your home. Honestly, that's hard to beat. the way I see it, I'll spend hundreds of hours on my own, maybe 10-20 hours with a remote coach, and then the minimum amount of hours with my CFI on a plane before I go for my check ride. In the end, I'll be infinitely more proficient than if I only trained with my CFI on a plane (a horrible and expensive classroom in my opinion). I've spent less than 10 hours with my CFI towards my IR and I am already light years ahead of what I would have achieved without the benefits of home simulation.... and this is all self-study. Now I have the opportunity to do even more with an actual CFI in the "virtual" cockpit with me.

I had a session earlier today with Peter. My goals was to simulate an instrument check ride in preparation for my actual check ride. For today's session, we wanted to establish a baseline and then build up from there. I must admit that simply having someone observe me was enough to increase my workload tremendously. So by itself, this was a great mental exercise. The next sessions we'll work on other aspects of the instrument check ride and then work on any deficiencies. I can probably do all of this in 3-4 sessions which I can schedule after work and on my days off. The same exercise with my CFI would take weeks to schedule and several hundred dollars to complete.

So even though I can't "log time", at the very least it will make me a more proficient pilot... and all of these while wearing my PJs, in my own home, and drinking a cup of coffee on my day off!. PRICELESS!.
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I always dream of being able to get back into the sky after being away from it for 25 years. I can see this being a huge benefit if and when I can ever do that. Excellent idea Keith and the costs are quite reasonable.

I didn't see it mentioned but what are acceptable aircraft choices for these courses?

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks, Todd.

The aircraft selection is really up to you. As long as it's reasonable for the task then I doubt there'll be an issue.
Hesynergy

Post by Hesynergy »

Had a terrific consult/coaching session with Peter...very knowledgeable and affable....WELL SPENT MONEY!

...need a checkride?....DO IT!

Chas
sobaya

Post by sobaya »

Hello

I am Ayax i like pilotedge...

Now i am in my CAT 3 VFR course for beginners...

I have problems with the english, i speak spanish.... i will like to know if a VFR course in enlighs (slowly speaking) is available for me....

I also have a lot of problems understanding the airspace kinds (B, C, D etc)

is there a DUMBs guides for understanding the airspace?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There is a workshop on airspace here: http://pilotedge.net/workshops. The very first one is called "All about VFR." It might be helpful for you.

If the video is too fast, then remote coaching would be a good option for you. Follow the instructions on the remote coaching web site to contact us for custom coaching, or one of the pre-package coaching options.
sobaya

Post by sobaya »

Keith Smith wrote:There is a workshop on airspace here: http://pilotedge.net/workshops. The very first one is called "All about VFR." It might be helpful for you.

If the video is too fast, then remote coaching would be a good option for you. Follow the instructions on the remote coaching web site to contact us for custom coaching, or one of the pre-package coaching options.
Tha k you