Western US Idaho expansion completed

Keith Smith

Western US Idaho expansion completed

Post by Keith Smith »

The incremental upgrades for Western US continues as planned. Idaho was the focus this time with the addition of Boise (KBOI) and Friedman Memorial (KSUN).

If you're looking for a nice stop between the Pacific Northwest and the Salt Lake area, these are great candidates for breaking up the trip!
deansalman

Re: Western US Idaho expansion completed

Post by deansalman »

Thank you. Would love to see a midwest and eastern expansion someday but I know its a big country :)
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Keith Smith wrote:The incremental upgrades for Western US continues as planned. Idaho was the focus this time with the addition of Boise (KBOI) and Friedman Memorial (KSUN).

If you're looking for a nice stop between the Pacific Northwest and the Salt Lake area, these are great candidates for breaking up the trip!
Just want to say THANKS. The WUS expansions are terrific especially for GA piston and VLJ flights and I appreciate the continued growth of PE!
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
chazzerz17

Post by chazzerz17 »

I am extremely excited about these continued upgrades in PE.
I do have one question - After the road map is complete will PE continue to upgrade WUS with more Class D airports or not?
Thanks,
Chazzerz17
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Those are the only upgrades planned for now. I won't rule out future changes to the airspace, but that is what we've planned for now. That will be 43 towered airports...the same as ZLA. I'm not sure it's going to be feasible to have a single person working much more than that.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Keith Smith wrote:Those are the only upgrades planned for now. I won't rule out future changes to the airspace, but that is what we've planned for now. That will be 43 towered airports...the same as ZLA. I'm not sure it's going to be feasible to have a single person working much more than that.
Yes, the weekends do get very busy. But your controllers do an outstanding job!
I'm hearing more than one controller on at the same time as of late, which makes sence
with the extra work flow. It also makes for a more realistic flight.
How are you doing that?.. ie, one controller for APPR And CTR's and the other for all TWR's and GRD?
I've been trying to figure it out lol. Also i agree with Dean. Do you have any future plans for the East Coast?

You'd probably have to hire a few more controllers for that congested airspace.

Thanks for all the hard work you and your team put into this!

Dave.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We haven't had more than one person working WUS at a time for the most part. I assume you're talking, then, about ZLA, which is staffed differently and frequently has more than one controller online. Additionally, there has been a controller in training at the approach level in ZLA which has resulted in the Center positions being covered by someone different to the approach/tower positions.

We haven't announced any upgrade plans beyond the WUS expansion for now.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Ah ok. It's likely I'm just flying during a shift change then. Because it is intermittent.
Thanks for the info on the ZLA. I will have to splurge next month and check out the ZLA. or maybe just swap for a month.
A change of scenery will be nice I think. Plus the congested Airports will be fun.
And it makes sense you don't even want to speculate on something which could still be years away.
I was thinking out loud lol.

Dave.