more client/server changes planned

Keith Smith

more client/server changes planned

Post by Keith Smith »

There were a series of changes to the architecture that have occurred over the past year or so, the combination of which has resulted in a few things I'm not happy with. I'm going to make some fairly significant changes on the server to properly account for the new way of doing things (that has nothing to do with the new protocol we recently introduced with the upgrade).

The new server will still allow the current clients to connect, but I will release a new client which I suspect will be more reliable. That said, once most of the network clients have moved over to the new system, those using the old system will likely see an increase in stability as well.

My goal is to eradicate the phantom disconnections that occur for some people. It should also reduce bandwidth usage and may well improve the motion of aircraft, too.
TexFly

Re: more client/server changes planned

Post by TexFly »

Keith,

Do you still want me to test?

I might be able to connect this evening...

Alex
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Alex, no need just yet. I dug very deep into the server code and have found a flaw in the 3rd party framework on which some of the server is based. I am feeling optimistic that a single small server change is likely to solve nearly all of the disconnect issues.

I'll still likely make a new client available with optimized network code, but that will be icing on the cake.
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Here is the question.....when do you think we can have the change so I can start using PE again?

Thanks!
Alex (N705AT)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm about to start testing now (it was actually 2 very small changes) in the dev environment. It will be deployed into the main environment tomorrow before the opening bell if that goes well.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It went well, it's deployed. Give it a try, Alex, let me know if you have any more disconnect issues.
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Keith it works great now!

Thanks!

:D
Alex (N705AT)