Pilot Introductions

Geoff

Re: Pilot Introductions

Post by Geoff »

Hey guys,

I've been here a couple weeks, and I realize I haven't introduced myself here. I have no real-world pilot training; the closest I've come is sitting in the copilot's seat in a Bonanza and C172 here and there. My dad was a radar operator for the RAF after World War II, and while he and I occasionally talked about taking flying lessons, we never got around to it.

I've been flight-simming off and on for more than 20 years; indeed, my first computer "game" was MS Flight Simulator, in black-and-white, flying out of Meigs Field on a PC that probably had 64K of RAM or such. These days I run X-Plane 10 (in full color, of course, lol). I just invested in a Wheel Stand Pro and a Saitek yoke and radio panel, so I even have a home cockpit of sorts. I was so nervous on my first PE flight a few weeks ago that I could barely squeak out a request for a radio check, but I'm feeling more comfortable now.

I also fly in FSE, where I own a Bonanza and a Piper Archer 2, which I've been ferrying from Portugal to ZLA. My big FSE ambition is to build and operate a small FBO in the PE coverage area. We shall see!

Anyway, I'm very glad to be here. Keith provides a unique, wonderful service. Many thanks to him for creating it.
ExplodingPigeons

Post by ExplodingPigeons »

Hi all,

My name is Tristan and I am a 25 year old flight sim enthusiast. I found out about pilot edge through Froogle (Peter Wright) and have been lurking around ever since. I finally got the courage to do my V1 today and I have to say, the controllers are much friendlier then I expected :) My goto aircraft currently is the Diamond DA40 by Alabeo (N182MF).

Well, theres not much else to say other than I am loving the service and hope I don't mess up too much :lol:
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

Hello!

Justin here, aviation enthusiast since boyhood. I've been flight simming for 19 years, started out at the ripe old age of 8 with Microsoft Flight Simulator for Windows 95 and continued on up the ladder from there (skipping 2000 and going straight to FSX). I've been out of the loop for a number of years now due to the circumstances of life, and I'm just starting to get back into simming again. I acquired X-Plane 10 over the last holiday Steam sale for 50% off, but it was only recently that I got a joystick so that I could start enjoying my hobby again. I'm not a real world pilot, my experiences with flying to date have been limited to the view from economy class.

I'm very excited to become a part of the PilotEdge network. Thanks to Chris (helipilot7) for introducing me with his Twitch stream and YouTube videos. Looking forward to seeing you all in the skies!
aquince

Post by aquince »

Hello all! I've been on PE for a couple of months now and loving it. I have my SEL ticket with a little over 100 hours, mostly flying C-172s out of Centennial Airport (KAPA) in Denver, Colorado, though finances have kept me grounded since 2007. I, too, started simming more than 20 years ago on my Atari 800 and have tried various products over the years. The recent combination of X-Plane and PilotEdge, however, has taken it all to a whole new level. I'm working now (virtually) on my IFR skills, reading a lot and working my way through the instrument ratings. I also recently started making flights on FSEconomy, which forces some diversity in the airports I fly from. I can usually be found online in my Columbia 400 N3366C.

Cheers!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Great to people coming online who started simming so long ago. My first sim experience was when I was ~8 years old on a Commodore 64 with SubLogic FSII.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Keith Smith wrote:Great to people coming online who started simming so long ago. My first sim experience was when I was ~8 years old on a Commodore 64 with SubLogic FSII.
I recall my first experience on the Apple II clone Dad and I built...it was the second one in this video. I skipped to FS 4 for the Mac then 2004 for a while. Then just made the jump to Xplane this winter. Every step I took was a huge leap in tech it would seem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qga0-OHigtM
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

Keith Smith wrote:Great to people coming online who started simming so long ago. My first sim experience was when I was ~8 years old on a Commodore 64 with SubLogic FSII.
You got a bit of a head start on me, then. :lol:
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

It's incredible how amazing I thought FS2002 looked back then. Remember the hub-bub over the minority of copies sold that shipped with a certain controversial scenery feature that was no longer. . . relevant?
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

That's awesome. I flew my first sim, SubLogic, in 1981 on my high school's TRS-80. Then in 1984 I got an Apple II and FS II 2nd gen in COLOR!!!!!! How about using cassette tapes for backups. I'll bet Keith remembers that.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

rtataryn wrote:How about using cassette tapes for backups.
I can still remember the noise...

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

rtataryn wrote:
That's awesome. I flew my first sim, SubLogic, in 1981 on my high school's TRS-80. Then in 1984 I got an Apple II and FS II 2nd gen in COLOR!!!!!! How about using cassette tapes for backups. I'll bet Keith remembers that.
backups? Hell, we had a Vic 20...one of the sims on that puppy was LOADED from tape.