Pep talk please...

jiva602

Pep talk please...

Post by jiva602 »

Hello to all,

I am relatively new to sim flight and am just now taking steps to begin my real world PPL quest. I recently purchased an A2A 182 and have practiced quite a bit with it but am still learning the aircraft.

Last night after work (very late), for the very first time, I finally just went for it and got on the PE network for some pattern work at a non towered airport. I did a radio check with a tower close by, and everything seemed to be working properly. I saw another aircraft on the taxiway and checked my radio with him, everything was loud and clear. Then another aircraft appeared but I heard no com at all from them, but didn't think much of it. I did a few laps around the pattern, struggled a bit but did ok for the most part, doing my calls - downwind, base, etc... and feeling pretty good about it.

However, on my last base to final turn, I noticed that a Mooney was on the taxiway but hadn't heard any com from them at all. I did my calls and on final they were on the runway moving to the grass on the side, I got distracted and actually clipped the trees that are just in front of the runway and essentially crashed.

I have never crashed in sim flight and, although I was distracted by the other plane, it was totally my error. I immediately disconnected and went to bed and am now wondering "how to get back on the horse?"

I take this very seriously and I want to join PE but now questioning if I am ready. There is a learning curve for everything but how many mistakes can I make on PE. The ONLY reason I am on here is because of the amazing Keith Smith and his workshops (and his responses to my questions). I want to do this but don't want to get banned for too many mistakes.

My confidence is on the floor at the moment - I need a pep talk from the elders, thanks.

Jiva
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
RyanK

Re: Pep talk please...

Post by RyanK »

Thanks for sharing and welcome! One great thing about the PE environment is it's dynamic and you get realistic distractions. The standard mantra is "aviate, navigate, communicate" in that order. You just had a first hand experience of why that is. PE is a learning environment and you're not going to get kicked out for making mistakes. It's the perfect place to make mistakes and learn from them. Keep at it!

FYI, the other traffic was probably a prerecorded "drone" aircraft, so it wasn't going to make radio calls or respond to you. Drones operate in a realistic manner in airspace where communications aren't required. In the real world it's not illegal or unheard of for aircraft to operate without a radio, or to not use it, or to be tuned to the wrong frequency, etc..

Ryan
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

You won’t get banned for your mistakes. (Particularly, if they're honest mistakes.)
Pilotedge is specifically established for training. There are ancillary services, but the focus is training.
Controllers expect users to make mistakes…repeatedly.
Even the “elders” makes mistakes. (And so do the controllers.)
The key is to review the error[s], learn from them, pack the knowledge away into your understanding and move forward.
All the mistakes made on P/E are non-critical, non-fatal. You crashed, but it was a sim.
(In this case I would have gone around.)
Review, ponder, muse, and learn from the event. Then move forward with the training vids, workshops, and flying. Do not expect perfection, (strive for excellence,) but expect that mistakes will be made.
Eventually, you’ll be the elder pep-talking the noob
This space intentionally left blank
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I take this very seriously and I want to join PE but now questioning if I am ready. There is a learning curve for everything but how many mistakes can I make on PE. The ONLY reason I am on here is because of the amazing Keith Smith and his workshops (and his responses to my questions). I want to do this but don't want to get banned for too many mistakes.
You have the right attitude and should have no qualms on continuing to fly on PE.

Your mistake wasn't reported by the controllers (as it's a non event as far as we are concerned), so there is no risk of you getting banned.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

I personally mow down every drone I can find. Serves them right.

There have been some pretty spectacular mistakes made over the years by people who are still flying on the network. Don't sweat the small things, learn and move on :).
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

To echo what the others have said, we all learn from our mistakes. Get back up on that horse EVERY TIME that you fall off and keep at it! Having the right attitude is the key, and you have that! This is ultimately a training network and the controllers are here to help you correct and fix those mistakes. We would much rather you make the mistakes here than in a real airplane. We are here to help you do things the right way. We will correct mistakes so you can get it right! Trust me when I say, if you are really trying to learn, we will bend over backwards to help you learn. We aren't here to smack you if you make a mistake, we are here to help you not make that mistake again. Go fly!
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

Here, watch someone else who streamed their mistake and recorded it for posterity:

https://youtu.be/YjLvGnyDNv0
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Thank you to all for the responses and sound advice.

Tonight I jumped back into the Skylane for some brief hopping: L52 -> KSBP -> KPRB -> KSBP, precise and cool on the coms, smooth on the controls, a lil lag spike on the last landing but, all in all, I definitely redeemed myself, a wonderful night on PE.

Thanks again for the encouragement - Jiva
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

ridikamus wrote:Here, watch someone else who streamed their mistake and recorded it for posterity:

https://youtu.be/YjLvGnyDNv0
That *never* gets old.