Protcol Error

CrackerJack

Protcol Error

Post by CrackerJack »

I attempted a flight this evening from KCRQ to KRAL everything was going fine until about 3/4 of the way through the flight. I had contacted SOCAL Approach and then expected to get instructions to leave freq and contact KRAL. I tried ore than once to reach SOCAL APP, no luck. I have to say that I'm new to this. I completed the flight an after landing I saw that PE server shows 'Protocol Error' and was disconnected.

Is there something I should be doing one my side to prevent this from happening? It would be nice to see something on the screen which indicated connection with the PE server. Without some sort of connection status indicator I would have to ALT TAB out of the sim to check that PE is still connected. I'm running Prepard 3D. I'm hoping some one may be able to shed some light on this issue please.

Cheers!
wmburns

Re: Protcol Error

Post by wmburns »

For completeness sake it might be helpful to mention:
  • Your sim type (X-Plane, FSX, P3D)
  • Your sim update version or patch level
  • Your OS (Windows version and type)
  • Any add on you may have
  • what did you do to trouble shoot your internet connection?
  • If you were able to re-connect
I was listening to PE over this weekend. I heard several cases of Pilots very difficult to hear due to dropped packets.

We all have been disconnected from time to time. When it happens to me, usually I'm able to re-connect and continue on (after checking back in with ATC).
spenconk

Post by spenconk »

Hello Folks!
I am getting this protocol error after the screen hangs during startup saying "Sending Login Info" It will stay hung for hours like this. Where does the madness stop? haha

DETAILS:
I am using FSX. Launch it and place the plane on the runway at a southern california airport like San Diego. Does this matter much to get connected?
I launch pilotedge_fsx.exe and it brings up the screen (now without mike error, YEA!)
I click Start > Connect
I fill in my tested email and password. I was able to ping pilotedge.net
I am using a unique call sign I make up like N76H5W.
My aircraft is a CESSNA 172 (upper case). I am selecting the Cessna C172 SKyhawk during setup.
The type: CESSNA Skyhawk (C172)
Airline: California Air Shuttle (picked out of the list - any significance)

THE FIRST "ERROR" IS:
Unable to read aircraft position from sim.

I have FSX Deluxe version 10.00 Build 60905.00

I see this in the forums:
Can you verify that you have selected the aircraft and airport from the free flight menu and that the airplane is now parked at the ramp of an airport?

Where is this setting? Is a flight plan needed?

i SOOO want to fly!
kullery

Post by kullery »

I have no idea if this is causing your problem, but N76H5W is not a valid registration number.

See http://www.myflightroute.com/number.php for information regarding the format of aircraft registration numbers.

Good luck
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

I think the client doesn't connect if your on a runway in the sim. Load the airplane on the ramp area and try that.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The part that says, "unable to read position info from sim" goes on to say that your sim is probably paused. You need to make sure the "pause on task switch" setting is turned off (it's in the General settings). This is covered in the installation documentation.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

spenconk wrote:Hello Folks!
I am getting this protocol error after the screen hangs during startup saying "Sending Login Info" It will stay hung for hours like this. Where does the madness stop? haha

DETAILS:
I am using FSX. Launch it and place the plane on the runway at a southern california airport like San Diego. Does this matter much to get connected?
I launch pilotedge_fsx.exe and it brings up the screen (now without mike error, YEA!)
I click Start > Connect
I fill in my tested email and password. I was able to ping pilotedge.net
I am using a unique call sign I make up like N76H5W.
My aircraft is a CESSNA 172 (upper case). I am selecting the Cessna C172 SKyhawk during setup.
The type: CESSNA Skyhawk (C172)
Airline: California Air Shuttle (picked out of the list - any significance)

THE FIRST "ERROR" IS:
Unable to read aircraft position from sim.

I have FSX Deluxe version 10.00 Build 60905.00

I see this in the forums:
Can you verify that you have selected the aircraft and airport from the free flight menu and that the airplane is now parked at the ramp of an airport?

Where is this setting? Is a flight plan needed?

i SOOO want to fly!
Firstly, never ever ever ever ever ever start and try to connect while you're positioned in a movement area (runways or taxiways). Imagine you're flying and about to land and out of nowhere, somebody pops up on the runway right in front of you. I don't know about you but my face would get pretty red and steam might burst out my ears. Always position yourself on a ramp before you connect.

Secondly, you said you're using FSX 10.00. Is it a steam version? If its the disc version, are you 100% sure it's up to date with the service packs? With steam, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Thirdly, did you make sure you read the entire forum post regarding the position?
Issue: Login fails with a message saying: Unable to read aircraft position from sim, make sure the aircraft is parked and the simulation is not paused then login again.
Solution 1: The sim isn't fully running, so PE can't extract the info it needs from the sim to connect to the network. Don't attempt to connect until your aircraft is positioned on a ramp, and not still on the free flight configuration screen. Also make sure "Pause on Task Switch" is DISABLED in Options->Settings->General.
Don't attempt to log in until your sim is completely loaded with your aircraft on the ramp. If you try to connect on the flight setup screen, the software doesn't know where your aircraft is. Is "pause on task switch" disabled in settings in your sim?

Fourthly, the best support might come from an email to support@pilotedge.net if the above doesn't work.
spenconk

Post by spenconk »

Thanks. I will install the SP1 and SP2 to see if that makes a difference.
Great information provided by all!
spenconk

Post by spenconk »

After installing SP1 and SP2, it started working! I thought the Accelerator did all that.

Very happy to report that I was able to fly from Oceana to San Luis Obispo and do some touch and goes without killing anyone!
All issues are resolved except my ability to fly. :D