Pilotedge Community

Frank White

Pilotedge Community

Post by Frank White »

After flying with PE daily for over 6 months, I really feel a sense of community. But, (there is always a but, right?) here is what's missing (IMHO):
  • A single place for connecting with the community
    A page on the controllers
A single place where all the community can get together would be great. Right now, I'm confused. There are these forums and there's Discord. For me, I can't monitor both and quite frankly, I'm not sure what Discord offers other than a chat-like feature. I would happily monitor and participate in the most popular one - whichever that is. It's just that the two systems appear to dilute the value of a grand community.

A page dedicated to the controllers would be cool. As one who admire them and feel like I ought to be on first name basis with them, it bothers me that I don't know their names. I'd also like to know what they like look - such a millennial thing to say. Yeah, sometimes I get flustered with the one who's matter of fact and points out my every mistake - but then I remind myself he's only making me a better pilot. Then there's Geneva (at least that's the name I've heard someone use to thank her). Her voice is so soothing that even when she's correcting me, I don't feel so intimidated. Most of us, who've watched any number for videos know Keith (I wonder how he keeps track of everything and stays so engaged in the two communities). Yes, in the real world we wouldn't know who our controllers are, but (there we go again with a but) the pilot edge community is truly a special place. I don't believe short bios and pictures would detract from the immersion.

I realize that I'm relatively a short-term member, compared to those of you who've been here for years. Perhaps a controller page already exists and I have yet to discover it. However, it doesn't exist I hope Keith will seriously consider creating one. I'd be curious to hear what you all think. Thanks for allowing me to rant.

Thanks,
Frank
N175FW - Cessna 172SP
N286WF - Piper Arrow P28R
N571HS - Cessna 152 II
Frank
N175FW - Cessna 172SP
N5144L - Cessna 152 II
N9875N - Pilatus P12
N850TB - Socata TBM850
N4945C - Socata TBM900
N7195P - Beech Baron 58
N58777 - Piper Cub
jx_

Re: Pilotedge Community

Post by jx_ »

Hello,

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. The forum is for long form discussions that could benefit more than one person over a long period of time. This post is a good example.

Discord can be used to chat with other pilots and PE staff, as well as get "on the fly" feedback or help. For example there is a thread there on the new SKY rating. It's full of random questions/issues from pilots as well as off the wall conversation.

The forum also doesn't have as robust a feature set for keeping up with friends. Let's say you meet other pilots and want to know when they are online flying. Discord is equipped to do that. And of course Discord has the audio features as well.

Hope this helps!
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Hi Frank. I use to think the same way as you do. I posted the same question about a year ago.

Unless things have changed, this below topic may still be realvent.

I too find that i am a much better pilot due to being corrected a lot. I mean a lot lol.

But that's the best feeling when you finally start completing flights without error. : )

Note Peters reply at the bottom of page 1.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5348&p=35341

Dave
Frank White

Post by Frank White »

Thanks for the feedback. I particularly appreciate the link to the conversation that has similar suggestions regarding the controllers, and; I did appreciate teh Leadership Bios at https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/leaders ... orate-info. Maybe one day, we'll be able to put faces with the awesome controllers at PE. sigh :)
Frank
N175FW - Cessna 172SP
N5144L - Cessna 152 II
N9875N - Pilatus P12
N850TB - Socata TBM850
N4945C - Socata TBM900
N7195P - Beech Baron 58
N58777 - Piper Cub
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

A decision was made early on not to have a controller bio page. We have our reasons for doing so. I believe the cons outweigh the pros. Many of the controllers frequent the Discord server, and gatherings such as FlightSimExpo which was just held in Vegas. Those are good venues for getting to know the controllers.

In the real world, as you know, the only way to get to meet the controllers is during a tracon tour. I've been hearing 2 of the NY Approach controllers for the past 10+ years and even though I've had a quick chat with them on freq when it's not busy, they still remain largely anonymous. It's par for the course. An air of mystery isn't such a bad thing (I know opinion is divided on this). Again, we do have specific reasons for not publishing controller bios and names (unrelated to what I've listed so far).

I hope you'll continue to enjoy the service. Discord has reduced the forum traffic, but it's a better venue for real-time communication. The forum is best for asynchronous discussions whereas Discord is good for real time, or near-real time conversation.