Where do I begin - I am a newbie to ATC - Request Advice

skyfox

Where do I begin - I am a newbie to ATC - Request Advice

Post by skyfox »

Hi Pilotedge,

Can some one point to me where should I start from? I mean what do I need to do first for Pilotedge

Do I need to learn on how to read charts/airspace info in detail? or does the training in Pilotedge cover that? Consider me a newbie or flight simmer with knowledge all over the map.

I want to learn in a proper structured way with ATC / charts etc. Sure I can fly from point A to B in my A2A birds but I want to fully maximize the learning fun.

Initially, I am planning to do ZLA coverage only as I have many of the P3Dv4 scenery addons and it would be fun to properly learn the right way to do things.

Is Pilotedge for a complete newbie like me? and what is the very first few things that I need to prepare for?

Thanks

Skyfox
Keith Smith

Re: Where do I begin - I am a newbie to ATC - Request Advice

Post by Keith Smith »

There is a foundation that you need to build regarding knowledge of airspace, communications and airport operations before you can let loose and fully enjoy the airspace. The good news is that you don't have to know everything before the first flight. However, it does mean that you need to choose your flights carefully, otherwise you run the risk of hitting airspace that you don't understand, and that's when the wheels start to come off.

I'd recommend going through the VFR workshops here: http://pilotedge.net/workshops (start at the bottom, work up, stop when you get to the IFR material). If you like, you could hold off on part 3 of the Scenario Based Flight Planning VFR workshop since it covers Class B and C airspace, which isn't really needed right away. I'd also recommend the Airport Operations and ATC Communications workshops (at the top of the workshops page), too.

Then, work through the CAT ratings (http://pilotedge.net/pages/cat-ratings). That's likely your best shot at learning from scratch. The workshops are not a quick 5-10 minute experience...it's going to take several hours.

Once you get to CAT Ratings which involve Class C airspace, that might be a good time for the part 3 of the Scenario Based Flight Planning workshop.

Hope this helps!
skyfox

Re: Where do I begin - I am a newbie to ATC - Request Advice

Post by skyfox »

Keith,

Thank you so much for giving me these steps, I am very grateful for this. I will do exactly as you mentioned.

Once, I get my foundation knowledge up, I can not wait to get inside the Pilotedge network (I do use listen to live audio through your app, it is so fascinating).

Have an excellent weekend,

Skyfox