Internet Availability

sellener777

Internet Availability

Post by sellener777 »

Hey been a few years, and I’d like to get back into it if I could. Problem is we moved out to the country to Raise beef and the internet options are few.

Noticed some talk about satellite internet not working for PE.

The post was a bit old so thought I’d ask again.

Not a big gamer, or concerned with shared cockpit or perfect traffic visuals…..but need the coms to work.

What’s the latest on sat internet, or hotspot stuff?

Thx!

-Erik
Kevin_atc

Re: Internet Availability

Post by Kevin_atc »

PilotEdge requires a stable internet connection (one without any intermittent hiccups). Speed typically isn’t much of a concern. May be worth coming back for just a month to troubleshoot with your current options.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
sellener777

Post by sellener777 »

Hey Kevin, thx.

Was trying to determine if it’s worthwhile to get setup with satellite or a hotspot based on others experiences…..trying to avoid getting setup (PC/hardware/dish) if ultimately it’s not going to be successful. Anybody Simming via satellite with success?
virtualDon

Post by virtualDon »

I use a WISP - beamed from a radio tower to my house - this may be a good option for you. It tops out around 30 mbps and I have run PE when only getting around 5 mbps. Less than that and the radio starts sounding very choppy! The advantage is a WISP has much lower latency than most satellite providers. The exception is Starlink. Star link's low orbit sats also have low latency and much higher speeds (around 100 mbps). Of course I've been on the waiting list for a year now... Though if it's already being used in your area (higher latitudes seem to have more sats) then you may be able to jump the queue. If not, check into using a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider).
virtualDon

Post by virtualDon »

Another option is the cell hotspots (T-Mobile or Verizon Home internet). Even though I was not in the "service area", T-Mobile let me try one of their home internet routers. Even if you only get LTE that may be enough. (turns out I had horrible coverage and went with the WISP). Verizon wouldn't send me a home internet router but I tried one of their mobile hotspots and it did quite well so find the best cell service for your area and experiment.