questions from prospective user(s)

davenicoll

Re: questions from prospective user(s)

Post by davenicoll »

Hi,

I am very interested in Pilot Edge...

If I sign up am I able to take out a monthly plan and when possible sign up for the yealy plan?

Dave
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Yes - at the end of the free trial, you can choose monthly and later upgrade to the yearly plan.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You'll start out on the monthly plan when you kick off the trial. You can swap to annual during the trial (in which case your first and only payment for the 1 year period will be the payment for the annual plan), or you can remain on the monthly plan, then swap to annual at any time through the Account Center.
LukeK28

Post by LukeK28 »

Is PilotEdge only avaliable for the California region of flying? Can I for example fly a flight on the network in Europe? Or from a non controlled airport such as JFK-LAX?

Cheers! :D
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Yes, you can conduct flights outside of the coverage area - you can also conduct flights from inside the coverage area to outside (i.e. KLAX-KPHL) or from outside-in (i.e. KPHL-KLAX). While you won't get any benefit from PE conducting flights completely outside of the coverage area (i.e. KJFK-KLGA) other than PEAware tracking, you're a paying customer.

More detail:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=608&hilit=flights+o ... erage+area
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
JavierEsparza573

Post by JavierEsparza573 »

I am very interested in joining Pilot Edge and plan to try the trial 2marrow. I am listening to PilotEdge Receiver and am very impressed, But i do have 2 question about how the Radio comms are handled.

1. I understand the limited coverage area is used in order to allow more aircraft in a compact area. More likely for you to actually see other aircraft and possibility get that realism of more aircraft on a freq. I also understand you use the published freq for different airports/Airspace, But with that being said doesn't that make it very unlikely for you to hear other aircraft as there are Hundreds of Different Freq anyone can possibility be on at a time? I guess what i'm asking is if i were on San Francisco Tower: 120.5 talking to ATC, would i also hear aircraft on other freq talking to the same controller or just aircraft on 120.5 as well?

2. With so many freqs for a single controller to handle, How do the controllers deal with pilots talking over each other? And if the pilot can only hear other pilots on his freq how can he know if he is talking over another pilot on a different freq? I would think it would get very hard for the controller!

Anyways thanks in advance for answering my question and i hope to see you on the Server Soon!
trigger_fsx

Post by trigger_fsx »

Welcome JavierEsparza573,

1. See this thread >> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4866

2. Not sure what techniques they use to manage workload and people stepping on each other, other than just being awesome controllers. ;)

PS: I am not part of PE staff just a very happy PE user.

Jacques
Jacques Le Roux
N841LR
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Once a plane is in the air, there are not many occasions where the pilots initiates a communication exchange with the controller. As a result, even if you can't hear the other pilots, the number of blocks with airborne aircraft is small. On the ground, however, with pilots initiating requests for clearance and taxi, combined with relatively long read backs of clearances and taxi instructions, the number of naturally occurring blocks is quite high.

That is why we introduced the change to the frequency isolation system, allowing pilots to hear the other pilots (effectively simulating a series of repeaters) to reduce the number of blocks and make it feel slightly less lonely.
griffordson

Post by griffordson »

JavierEsparza573,

And if you are curious just what things look like from the controller's perspective, just check out Keith or Peter's Twitch channels. Here are a couple of great examples:

http://www.twitch.tv/ksmith_pe/c/4149459

http://www.twitch.tv/pe_pg/c/6057522

Keith is being a bit modest, the controllers on PE are amazing :-D
JavierEsparza573

Post by JavierEsparza573 »

This is great, Talk about some very talented controllers! 1 more question, and i'm sorry about all the question lol. What are the rules for aircraft call-signs in the Server?? I would like to fly My P51 Mustang on the server and simulate Flying to events, and giving rides, kinda like Stallion 51 does in real world. http://www.stallion51.com/ When they talk to ATC their call sign is "Mustang04" and not the November number of the aircraft. Can i do something like that?? Will it be okay for something like "WARBIRD2" Thank you for everyone's help!