beta will resume Wed 29th

Keith Smith

beta will resume Wed 29th

Post by Keith Smith »

The next two beta days would've been Dec 24 and 26th, which would not likely have seen much participation. Let's give the controllers a break over the holiday period, and we'll pick up next Wed, the 29th. I'm hoping to have the Mac build done by then, too.

Keith
Daddy O

Re: beta will resume Wed 29th

Post by Daddy O »

bummer. I was all ready to go play with my new radio panel :)

Merry Christmas, see y'all in a few days
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

As planned, we're resuming our 3 day/wk beta program (Wed, Fri, Sun) this Wednesday, with a spotlight on the Santa Barbara and Chino airports. Pilots are encouraged to fly SBA-CNO (or vice versa) between 5pm and 9pm PST.

Pistons should file KWANG CMA VNY V186 PDZ @ 5k.
Turboprops/jets should file HENER FIM V186 V264 POM V197 PDZ @ 11k.

Enroute charts and approach plates are available at skyvector.com (awesome site if you've never used it).

If any pilots are interested in trying this but are a little hesitant about working with ATC, feel free post any questions you have here, I'm happy to help. A simple alternative would be to fly from SBA to CNO under VFR, too, giving you more leeway with routing and altitudes.

There are a gaggle of F/A-18's that depart out of Pt Magu (NTD) every 30 mins or so (6 of them, in fact), if you're lucky, you'll catch a view of them if you're hugging the coast under VFR! Those hornets depart in spectacular fashion, it's worth seeing! Their arrival back at NTD is equally exciting, too. :)
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Y'know, screaming down the coast with a buncha Hornets sounds like fun. My Viggen should keep up with them. Blasting out of the airport for some formation nap of the earth would be way cool.
motocheme

Post by motocheme »

Hi Keith. I was going to give IFR a try tonight, but am a little hesitant when it comes to the actual approach as I am new to flying IFR. Is it a problem if I inadvertently break some of the rules or make a mistake on the approach? Also, if I have to do a hold I am not familiar with that procedure. If the controllers have no problem talking me through it if needed then I will be good. Thanks!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks so much for asking the question, I suspect there are many lurkers that read the forum and wonder exactly the same thing.

Right off the bat, I'll tell you that you are very welcome to fly here. If you are willing to try your best to comply with ATC instructions, it's not a big problem if you're not yet familiar with all the procedures (you have to start somewhere, right?). It only becomes a problem if you deliberately ignore controllers, intentionally deviate from instructions, or intentionally cause problems on the frequency. THAT is the element that we're trying to remove here.

To the specifics of your situation, it's generally not a problem if you can't fly a hold, there are certainly workarounds for the few situations where one would've been needed. Simply tell the controller you're unable and would like alternate instructions instead. Regarding approaches, if the weather (or specifically YOUR weather) allows a 'visual' approach (I say that in quotes to encompass true visual approaches, contact approaches, etc), you can certainly request that.

My guess is that you'd like to dip your toe in the water and ease into IFR flight. That's a wonderful thing. You can do it on your own, or you can do it under a slightly more structured program that will step you through a series of flights, backed up with reference material, short videos, the required charts, etc. The latter would be the ZLA Pilot Cert program. That program was originally designed for VATSIM, but it IS going to be offered here on Pilotedge, too. I don't have the PE-version of the site constructed yet, so feel free to use the existing version HERE.

Don't worry about the formal process of taking the 'test' (which is just an online flight, btw, it's not a written test or oral quiz), simply read the material and try the flights. I'm not sure what your background is, but if you're already 100% comfortable with VFR, then feel free to start with the I-1 raing (the first instrument flight). Otherwise, I'd start with the V-1 (the first VFR flight) and work through the program step by step. In fact, we don't have a mechanism for separating VATSIM-based test results from PE test results yet, so definitely hold off on formally undertaking the ratings for now, but do feel free to do the flights themselves and dive into the supporting material.

Many, many pilots with various level of experience have gone through the program and all have said that it helped them learn something new, or become more comfortable with online procedures.

Just to finish off, right now there isn't any way for our controllers to know your level of experience when you call for your clearance (this might change in the future, but not any time soon). Consequently, we do our best to issue real world instructions/clearances. If something doesn't make sense, the very BEST thing you can do is ask for help. We'll either explain how to fly the procedure, if time allows and if that works for you...OR we'll give you simplified instructions. For example, you might be issued a Standard Instrument Departure (SID) out of SBA, the KWANG4 DEPARTURE, for example. If you have no idea what that is, just tell us. Real world controllers are very accommodating of student pilots who don't yet "know it all." What they don't like, however, is a pilot saying "roger," and then seeing them do something completely different. We are much the same here.

See you tonight, I hope!
Rauerb3

Post by Rauerb3 »

I see there are 3 controllers and 5 pilots logged on. We aren't still having the license issue where a limited number of users are allowed? I'll be signing on in a few. :D

*edit* Well, my microphone seems to not be working. It's nothing to do with PE, the mic isn't picking up any noise at all. I'll get a new one in a few days. oh well...
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Roger,

Sorry to hear that, this was the best night of the beta yet...7 pilots at the same time...almost all were flying from SBA-CNO (the focus airport concept is starting to work).

I have had great luck with a cheap Logitech USB headset lately (ditched my old analogue set)...I think it ran around $29.

Keith