[FE Notice] Important notes regarding KSGU

Alex Stjepanovic

[FE Notice] Important notes regarding KSGU

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

PilotEdge Membership,

On 13th January 2011, St.George Airport, UT(KSGU), will be closed permanently and replaced by a new airport(KDXZ), some 5nm to the SE. The accompanying navaids will also be relocated and re-identified.

This thread contains information as to how we will handle this real world change, here.

Considering pilots are the central point of our operations, and considering these types of changes in real life, often have near-catastrophic impact on our simulated world/s, a lot of thought went into how to make this transition as practical as possible, while keeping the operations in the area as real for the pilots as we could, while still not discriminating against those who won't be able to support/handle this change, right away.

The summary:

1. For the time being, PilotEdge only supports X-Plane, and as such, any changes to the scenery within, will be very easy to accomplish. One of our members is starting the work on the DXZ scenery as we speak, so considering stars align, we should have it deployed to Robin Peel for the next X-Plane scenery update. This will allow the users of X-Plane to be able and use the new airport with the minimal of delay.

2. We hope that by the time that a PilotEdge FS-plugin is available, that either we or someone else involved in the virtual aviation, will have a scenery ready for DXZ.

3. At such a point in time, when note #1 is accomplished, fully supported operations into SGU will cease! Pilots who either do not wish to use the new airport, have reasons to fly into the old one or just don't have the scenery, will be welcome to still fly into SGU, at their own risk. ATS will not be provided beyond the upcoming real-life operational limits.

We realize that this method might seem a bit more harsh than what's usually done on VATSIM or within the rest of the virtual aviation worlds. However, it was done in order to be as in line with PilotEdge's fulfillment to the pilots as possible. Having either both airports operational or not supporting the new one, would not work out very well, when pilots-view of realism is considered.

These are the NOTAM excerpts announcing the change:
FAA wrote:!SGU 12/005 SGU AD WILL BE RELOCATED TO 370211N/1133037W THE ST GEORGE (OZN) VOR/DME 130 DEGREE RADIAL AT 5NM. THE NEW LOCATION IDENTIFIER DXZ WILL BE CMNSD 1101130700. INFORMATION ON THE NEW AIRPORT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE JANUARY 13 EDITION OF THE SOUTHWEST AIRPORT/FACILITY DIRECTORY

!SGU 12/004 SGU (O) AD NEW AD 5.5 SE SGU NOT CMSND TIL 1101130700
Charts and A/FD for the new airport are available from http://aeronav.faa.gov/.

Any questions or comments may be directed through this thread.

Alex Stjepanovic
PilotEdge Facility Engineer
Daddy O

Re: [FE Notice]: Important notes regarding KSGU. All must re

Post by Daddy O »

That figures, I spent a couple of hours accurately mapping KSGU. I guess I'll go ahead and skin the new airport. :)
Alex Stjepanovic

Daddy O wrote:That figures, I spent a couple of hours accurately mapping KSGU. I guess I'll go ahead and skin the new airport. :)
If you are going to work on the scenery, talk to Shawn Goldsworthy. He's one of my guys on the FE team who's already digging into this somewhat.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

If Shawn is already working on the new airport then I'll skip that one. Shawn, what else are you working on so I don;t duplicate efforts?
Alex Stjepanovic

Just a reminder that this change takes place today, the 12th, in the real world, at 2400MST(2300PST,0100CST,0200EST)[Equivalent to 0700z on 13th].

Once again, we will be continuing to operate SGU here, until such a time as a scenery for DXZ is available to the public through X-Plane's own update system:
Alex Stjepanovic wrote:3. At such a point in time, when note #1 is accomplished, fully supported operations into SGU will cease! Pilots who either do not wish to use the new airport, have reasons to fly into the old one or just don't have the scenery, will be welcome to still fly into SGU, at their own risk. ATS will not be provided beyond the upcoming real-life operational limits.
Another announcement will follow signaling the start of DXZ operations, on PE.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Daddy O wrote:If Shawn is already working on the new airport then I'll skip that one. Shawn, what else are you working on so I don;t duplicate efforts?
I haven't even had a chance to start the new St George airport. I haven't had much time for anything in the past month. Go ahead and get DXZ done if you like. I probably won;t evn be able to think of geting another start on it for another week at least.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I'll take a look at it. Skinning existing airports in Xplane: not a big deal. Building airports, runways, adding navaids, then skinning it: big deal. Worse yet, I'm not getting a lotta loving from Google maps, and having trouble even finding any airport charts for KDXZ. Nothing on skyvector.com either, so switching PE over will be tricky for a while.

Lemme add it to the big list of things to do. Maybe this is the excuse I have needed to really learn WED.
Alex Stjepanovic

FAA AD charts usually don't exist for uncontrolled airports, however you can find the rest at naco.faa.gov(Including the A/FD).
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I had a really hard time finding anything on the new airport. Still can't find an airport layout map, I found the approach n departure charts for it. SkyVector has the info, but they have not indexed it yet for some reason...? Google Earth still shows the old airstrip that was paved over. According to the literature, they are not moving the VOR, but adding a new one for the new airport.

http://skyvector.com/airport/DXZ/St-Geo ... al-Airport

Here is the RNAV approach for runway 19. I have not seen an ILS approach for this airport, just RNAV and GPS
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1101/10546R19.PDF

And here is the airnav info on the airport itself, but once again no airport map.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDXZ
Alex Stjepanovic

DXZ scenery is available in X-Plane 9.68 Beta.

In order to compensate for the fact that not everyone might be indulging in betas, operations at SGU still remain unchanged here, until such a point when DXZ is available in a full next version, or when FSX client comes out - Whichever is first. Pilots who have either the scenery in versions preceding 9.68 Beta, or have the beta, are also welcome to fly into DXZ as a fully fledged and operational airport. Our controllers have the required data in their software to support both airports, until such a time when SGU is fully closed, here.

I apologize for the slight delay in posting this, but the announcement seems to have been made on some form of X-Plane "blog", and they aren't really my thing :)

Full post can be found here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=51026