not PE related: DC SFRA question

theskunk

not PE related: DC SFRA question

Post by theskunk »

Hi Guys,

I'm not really sure where the best place to ask this is, but I figured this was a good start given the amount of experience on the board (both ATC and Pilots!)

A week ago I flew into the DC SFRA (Manassas) VFR for the first time. I called up the weather briefer, who set up my flight plan -- here's what I did, and I'm hoping to either be corrected, or be told I did everything right:

- Arrived at airport, called 1-800-WX-BRIEF:
- Set up flight plan for both SFRA and VFR Flight following
- In air I picked up my flight following, but they did not have record of me. I switched to flight services and asked them to activate my flight plan, and ensured my SFRA plan was on file and appropriately timed.
- Back over to greensboro approach, still no record of my flight plan, so I re-did it. Life was okay at this point
- Moved to Potomac approach, got within about 5 miles, still had not heard the 'transponder observed', and simply asked for it -- controller seemed annoyed that I asked...
- Got to the ground, called flight services to close out my plans (I assume I just ask to talk to a briefer? or do I do something special to close out the plan?), they said they were never opened.... this part confused me...

So my questions are: Did I do the right thing to ask for the transponder observed, and why was my flight plan never opened, despite calling fss in the air and asking for it...?

Thanks for any and all comments!