Pilot Introductions

Daniel Kofman

Re: Pilot Introductions

Post by Daniel Kofman »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Daniel Kofman and I am currently training for my Private Pilot Certificate in Williamstown, New Jersey at Cross Keys Airport (17N).

I also have previous online ATC experience with VATSIM and Boston Virtual ATC (now Boston Virtual ARTCC) since their merge with VATSIM's ZBW ARTCC. On BVA, I hold a Class C Approach Certification, equivalent to a VATSIM S3 rating.

Looking forward to seeing you all in the virtual skies!
Last edited by Daniel Kofman on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Kofman - 2250
Arizona State University '21
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

Hi, my name is Andy,

I'm a commercial but VFR aeroplane/helicopter pilot from Australia and I am about to [re]start my fixed wing instrument rating.
I've got X-plane connected to PilotEdge ok and ready to go but stumbling on paperwork!

I'd like to do a few VFR flights first to get used to 'flying' in the USA.
Then try some basic IFR flights with Instrument approaches.

Not being familiar with the USA - Where can I download the paper paraphernalia for the flights?
Does anyone have an 'online starter pack' of required paperwork for some simple flights.
e.g.
Approach plates
Frequencies in Australia we get these from enroute charts or AIP supplement (ERSA)
En-route charts
VFR maps

Any help appreciated.

Andy
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Andy,

Welcome, Andy. Skyvector.com has everything you need. Right click on the airport then click on the airport name to bring up the airport detail page. It'll have everything from taxiway diagrams to frequencies and approach plates.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

AndyJ wrote:Hi, my name is Andy,

I'm a commercial but VFR aeroplane/helicopter pilot from Australia and I am about to [re]start my fixed wing instrument rating.
I've got X-plane connected to PilotEdge ok and ready to go but stumbling on paperwork!

I'd like to do a few VFR flights first to get used to 'flying' in the USA.
Then try some basic IFR flights with Instrument approaches.

Not being familiar with the USA - Where can I download the paper paraphernalia for the flights?
Does anyone have an 'online starter pack' of required paperwork for some simple flights.
e.g.
Approach plates
Frequencies in Australia we get these from enroute charts or AIP supplement (ERSA)
En-route charts
VFR maps

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Along with what Keith said- try the PilotEdge Training program to help guide some of your VFR and IFR flights.
http://training.pilotedge.net/page/overview
Kyle Sanders
jstew

Post by jstew »

Hello,

My name is James Stewart and am newly active to PE. I've been lurking for a few months, but with baby at home haven't had time to get back into simming. I have always dreamed of becoming a private pilot, but have yet to see to be able to pursue it. I haven't even been in a GA plane before, but I have a feeling a discovery flight is on the horizon :D. I sorta told myself PE could help calm my desire to fly, but I know it's just going to make me want it more! Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say what a great service and community this is. I have gotten on the last few nights, and was able to pass the V1 first try last night! Shooting for V2 and maybe V3 tonight.

I'm also hoping to get involved with the community here; any advice on that? Was going to try and be active on the forums, maybe check out FSE, and keep eye out for any events...

Thanks,
James
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

jstew wrote: I'm also hoping to get involved with the community here; any advice on that? Was going to try and be active on the forums, maybe check out FSE, and keep eye out for any events...

Thanks,
James
Welcome James! Good luck on your ratings!
As far as activity, I have this link bookmarked. It will display all of the unread (by you) posts that have happened since your last log on.
search.php?search_id=newposts

Your first time is going to have a large list... Unless you want to read each one, just click the "mark forums read" link on the main forum page to start new.
Kyle Sanders
plugoeil

Post by plugoeil »

Rauerb3 wrote:Hello everyone,

My name is Roger Auerbach. I've been simming seriously for around a year now in conjunction with working on my PPL. I'm an international business major at Hofstra, plan on getting my MBA next year and then getting my ifr/cfi/atp etc ratings.

Mike, I still have a running Apple IIe, what a machine :lol:

Peter, I'd love to talk to you at some point about your experience working at a flight school, as i suspect i will following that path soon.

Cheers,

-R
Hello! I am a newbe on this forum and as a flyer. I loved your post and your installation!
Beechcraft King Air 200
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Hi all,

I just joined PE and thought I'd post a short introduction.

My name is Matthias (which would be Matthew in englisch, or you can just call me Matt), I'm 37 years old and I live in Germany about 30 miles east of EDDS. I work as a designing engineer in the automotive industry, currently enganged in the body-in-white development for Mercedes/AMG.
I startet flight simming with the A320 sim on the Amiga 500 in 1991. After moving to PCs I used several incarnations of MS FS.
In April 2015 I installed X-Plane 10 along with some scenery and addon planes in order to try it out for a bit. But I have to say that I didn't touch FSX since, and I finally uninstalled it some days ago, despite having paid a lot of money (far too much if you ask my wife) for addons over the years.

I like to fly various aircraft types from single engine pistons up to modern "flying calculator" airliners. I can't wait for the Rotate MD-80 and the IXEG 737 to be released, and these two will fit perfectly inside the PE concept with it's defined coverage area.

When I'm not flight simming or pursuing "normal" activations, I do analog photography using medium- and large-format cameras up to 8x10". I have my own darkroom for making b&w prints, but I also do a lot of alternative processes (cyanotypes, Van Dyke Brown, carbon prints etc.).

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys (and gals) on the network and doing all the ratings. As soon as I find the confidence. :D
Last edited by Matthias Geiss on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's so interesting to hear about the wide variety of backgrounds of the simming community. I hope this thread continues to grow! If you've been lurking for a long time, feel free to chime in, we love learning more about the people who fly here, or are considering doing so.
Turnip

Post by Turnip »

Hello everyone, I just joined and find this very intriguing. I'm a RWP since 98 with some U.S. Naval flight time as well. Been simming since MSFS V1. Im looking fwd to doing all the training missions etc as I have found out, I'm a bit rusty and sloppy. I fly out of S-44 in real life. Hope to see everyone in the skies. Keep the dirty side down.

Turnip