Pilot Introductions

djrisc

Re: Pilot Introductions

Post by djrisc »

Not sure how I missed this thread until now, so I thought I'd post to it. (Better late than never.)

I'm Brett from Los Angeles, Ca. I work for a software company by day and spend my evenings either producing music or flying on PilotEdge.

I grew up around aviation and spent most of my childhood at airports (KUAO, KHIO) due to my father owning an avionics shop. So while most people have memories of riding bikes and hanging out at parks as kids, my memories are of our family Cessna 182, sweeping hangers, or helping to build ELT battery packs during the summers. (The most tedious job ever btw.) Not to mention robbing the poor mechanics blind by selling them over priced ice cream on the ramp. ( I was quite the mogal as a kid. lol)

Somehow with all that I didn't end up getting in to flying myself until recently, although I've always had a special place in my heart for all things aviation. I think it was mainly the cost that kept me away.

I'm now looking in to getting my private pilots license, and am using the sim and PilotEdge to learn all I can before making the larger investment of doing actual in plane work for my 40 hours.

Hope to see you all on PE soon!

Happy flying,
Brett

Here's a picture of my current setup:
http://www.brett-Adams.com/images/sim.jpg
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
FLIB

Post by FLIB »

Hey there,

My name is Michael Smith. My story is not unlike others who've already introduced themselves, been simming forever, got my PP-ASEL back in 2007 and IR in 2011. I feel like PilotEdge is just the kind of support group I need for my flying addiction :twisted:

Look forward to crossing paths (at the appropriate altitudes of course) with all of you in the virtual SoCal skies!
Michael Smith
my flying blog: Cleared for the Option

PE- N1537S [Bonanza]
PE- N123RX [Phenom 100]
PE- N850MS [TBM 850]
-occasionally "Red Stripe 242"
Keithrs

Post by Keithrs »

Good day,

Just a quick introduction....

I'm Keith and am based out of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada (CYXE/CJN5). I started with aviation sims years ago on some of the old MFS, Janes, and Falcon combat sims. For one reason or another lost interest and got away from it for quite a number of years. Later, and in following my father's interest in RW GA, I took up learning to fly by way of ultralight aircraft out of Corman air park just outside of Saskatoon some years ago. Nothing technical just pure stick and rudder in a tail dragger high wing Bushmaster. Strapping on skies in the winter and "lake jumping" to go hang out in the ice fishing shack, along with "dropping in" on friends during harvest in the field they'd be working in was an excellent experience and one I'll value forever(and will get back to from time to time). It's been several years now since I've piloted one of those and have since traded that time for the right seat in a PA28 my Dad flies. Being based in the prairies our skies are very quiet which leaves us talking to our self's (position reporting) most, if not all, the time. A couple of years ago I regained my interest in flight sims with the purchase of Xplane and then flying on VATSIM for the past year or so. My hope in jointing VATSIM was not only to get a chance to hear more than just myself on the radio, but also to assist my studies in airmanship. I haven't ventured out of my RW airspace much on VATSIM other that to sit and listen though and understand I need to "spread my wings". Through some reading on the VATSIM forums I learned of Pilotedge and the online workshops which, by the way, I've listened to in recordings and participated in the last one (Instrument approaches (part 1)) live. Absolutely fantastic and very professional in my opinion. Not only has it given me the tools to be able to venture out of my slower airspace (all VFR by the way) and start looking at the busier fields and maybe some IFR in the future if I ever get that stuff into my head. I'm very interested in joining the Piliotedge community and will do so as soon as I can dedicate a bit more time to it as I understand I can't be as green as I am now to fly on this network. It also brings me to this question regarding the Pilotedge receiver and live map I've been listening and watching for a few days. (Question moved to seperate thread)

Keith
Mooniac

Post by Mooniac »

Hi,
I'm Alisha. I grew up flying with a father who owned a Cessna 170 tail-dragger and later a Piper Cherokee Six (as the family grew). Always loved flying but didn't get my license until MUCH later (won't say how old I am) in '99 followed by an Instrument rating in 2000. After a couple of years I stopped flying due to cost and got back into it about three years ago when I bought my first plane (Mooney M20F) while living in western MA. I now live in northern CA working as a computer programmer and love flying (at the expense of any other luxury in my life).

I'm new to flight simming and decided to try it out recently (X-plane 10) when going for an Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) since I had let my IFR currency lapse. Now I'm sold on it and on PilotEdge and plan to use it to keep my skills up. I love the realism and challenge that PE adds.

My Ride:
Alisha Clarke
Instrument Rated SEL PPL
Mooney M20F owner/pilot
dental1

Post by dental1 »

Hi
I have been simming for about two years and have built a pretty impressive GA cockpit. Aside from my career, aviation is my passion. For the time being, simming is it for me right now. I have done several online flights with other groups. What you offer is exactly what I need. I live in atlanta and prefer to fly in daylight so joining you guys with your time zone gives me unlimited daylight flying.
The effort that has been put into pilot edge training for our benefit is amazing. I look forward to much learning.
Thx Lee
boevad

Post by boevad »

Hi everyone,
I'm Dave O'Brien from Anderson, SC. I'm a pharmaceutical rep by day and a husband, dad and elder in my congregation the rest of the time. I've been flying on and off for 24 years (soloed at 16, PPL at 17) and have my Comm. certificate and IR. I haven't flown in about 4 years do to lack of time and/or money. Someday, I'd love to marry my flying experience with my sales experience into an opportunity that requires both skill sets.

My two favorite RW aircraft which I have logged a lot of time are the Cessna T210N and the Mooney 201. I've flown Carenado's 210 which does a decent job replicating the flight dynamics of the 210. Mostly I fly the RealAir Lancair Legacy while on PE. Its got amazing features and flight dynamics, but is also a real challenge to fly correctly trying to get it to slow down without shock cooling the engine by pulling the throttle to idle as I've sometimes seen others do.

I really enjoy what Keith has put together here from the top-notch ATC to his pilot workshops which have helped me re-learn so much. Its been a real humbling experience being on-line but I can honestly say that I come away after each flight having learned something new and becoming more confident.

Happy aviating!

Dave
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Hello from Nantucket, MA.

New to PE, my name is Nathan Palmer and I have been simming since FS98. Love what PE does and brings to the sim world. You'll find me flying out of Ramona, CA (KRNM) while in PE using an A2A plane or perhaps a RealAir one as I enjoy the system modeling as well.

My main PE FS platform is P3Dv2. Other Addons used are FSEconomy, Opus, GSX, FTXG+Vector and FSPax if I can get that running in P3Dv2.

My simpit consist of hardware from Go Flight, CH Products, Satiek, VRInsight, Headtracker IR and a real intercom system for Pilot and Co-Pilot. I've set it up to work for single or Multi, Prop or Jet, Fixed or Helo.

My rig is a i7-3820 OC 4.7 | ASUS P9X79 LE MoBo | 16GB DDR3/2133MHz Corsair Vengeance | EVGA Superclocked - Signature 2 Edition GTX 680 2GB | 480 GB Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 watt Thermaltake Toughpower | Window7 64 Pro | Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan powered by Koolance | Azza Fusion 3000 Full-Tower Gaming Case with a 60" screen.

Heres two pics of my pit.

Look forward to seeing you guys in the virtual skies.

Nathan
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
FrigginGuy

Post by FrigginGuy »

Nathan, that setup is boss. I'm nowhere near that cool. My name's Drew, everyone, and I'm new to PE! :D

I've been becoming an aviation junkie for about the past year and a half. So far in the real world, I've only taken one 'discovery flight' in a 172 from KBNA, orbiting downtown Nashville at 2000MSL. Great views, by the way! I also was allowed by a non-Instructor pilot to briefly control a Piper Saratoga on a trip from Louisiana to West TN, but I don't know if I should count that. :lol:

As far as the virtual world, I've been flying various craft in X-Plane seriously since about July last year. As soon as I learned about PE, I knew I had to join. I've been a member for a couple of weeks and so far I've completed several VFR flights, and ratings V1 and V2. I don't know how I ever simulated without it! I've also been catching myself up on Keith's seminars. Through the PE network and the seminars, I'm already feeling like a MUCH more 'professional' pilot.

You'll find me online at varied times of day, using various aircraft, usually with the moniker N434EP (the tail number of the 172 I flew at KBNA).

Thanks to Keith and the rest of the PE team, and Hello to all you other PE pilots! :D

Drew
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Hello, my name is Ty, I'm 29 years old, and I'm an alcoholic. More importantly, though, I am flight sim enthusiast who has recently discovered this great network.

I currently reside in Beverly, MA right underneath to 22L approach into Boston Logan (this wasn't by choice, it actually quite noisy and annoying!). During the day, when I'm not browsing Reddit, watching Twitch, or perusing forums I provide upper tier support to an in-house payment processing system for an e-comm site. I find the mindless day to day operations work to be strangely fulfilling, which is why I suppose I have no qualms staring at a fake cockpit in cruise for hours in the evenings :).

Currently I have zero RW flying experience. This is something I intend to change in the future, but first I have to get married and buy a house. Part 1 is already in the works and I will be marrying my lovely better half this summer in Aruba. Because I'm not a masochist, I'll be putting the PPL on ice for at least another year or so. I feel that my time on PE getting scolded by Keith and co. will help prepare me for a nice future busting the Boston Bravo airspace, however.

You can find me on the network a few times a week buzzing around in a number of aircraft as N717TS (7/17 is my anniversary and TS are my initials, real original). I enjoy everything from the venerable Skywagon all the way up to the mighty 777. My escapades are also streamed live on twitch (http://twitch.tv/catstrator) for all to see and laugh at... Keith has also been known to pop in and play God with my aircraft systems making things just that much more interesting.

I look forward to continuing to see you all in the air and hearing your lovely voices. I leave you with an older picture of my setup, but not much has changed (it's winter so I'm drinking stouts). I also don't fly the JS41 or FSX anymore, but you can get the idea :).

Stay thirsty my friends
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

[Re: the posted video link]

".... And we're on fire...." OMG, too funny!