Pilot Introductions

N1654J

Re: Pilot Introductions

Post by N1654J »

Outstanding!! Just what I needed - online comm. training so I can foul up and then learn with ATC without feeling like I am throwing a wrench into their works in the real world. Own a Piper Cherokee and am working on IFR now. Based out of KSUS - St. Louis.

Bill
N1654J
Paul N

Post by Paul N »

Hello All:

My name is Paul, and I'm a 47 year-old dentist in Gaithersburg MD. Just read about PilotEdge on the AOPA website and had to check it out. I am currently a student pilot with 74 hours in a Cirrus SR20 out of KGAI, getting ready for my check ride. I am looking forward to starting my instrument training and PilotEdgeE seems like the perfect way to learn and practice!

I have been using both FSX and X-plane to sim while taking my flight lessons. ATC is by far the most "challenging" (especially in the Washington DC SFRA) and so I'm excited to see how this all works.

Paul
Kyle Weber

Post by Kyle Weber »

Hello everyone,

My name is Kyle. I've been passively following PilotEdge for a bit through assorted forums and word-of-mouth. Had the pleasure of meeting Keith (we occasionally cross paths through VATSIM; always nice to put a face with a name) and demo the setup at AirVenture. I took the plunge, signed up, and flew KPSP-KVNY this evening. I can definitely see the appeal of the network and some of the advantages it has to offer toward real pilots and sim enthusiasts alike.

I've been a private pilot for about 6 years now, and am about 2/3 through my instrument rating (the whole money thing made me wind up waiting 5 years before taking the plunge :P ). I fly mostly C172s in Colorado. I'm just your typical, overall aviation fanatic...knew I wanted to be involved with airplanes since a very young age. I'm an avid flight simmer as well and have spent about 10 years between the SATCO/VATSIM networks (controlling, vZDV/vZMP, and flying). I typically enjoy airliner simming but do appreciate the occasional piston VFR or victor airway IFR. I can see a network like this definitely motivating me to fly even more out of my light aircraft hangar.

By profession, I've worked at a major airline for a year in flight operations engineering/training/safety and currently am entering my third year as a flight test engineer. Graduated with a degree in Aerospace Engineering Sciences and recently completed some training at National Test Pilot School (told you flying has been in my life for quite some time).

Looking forward to flying with everyone on the PE network!
Kyle Weber
PPL, ASEL; IA student
mkreilein

Post by mkreilein »

Hello All,

I'm Matt Kreilein and I've finally made it around to logging in and flying on PE. Very good first experience for sure.

I started flying (and controlling) on VATSIM in 2001 or 2002 and my virtual experience includes being an INS and either DATM or ATM for ZNY from ~2006-2009. During all that virtual time I started my pilot training out of Schenectady (SCH) in 2007 and completed my PPL in early-2008 and followed that up with an Instrument Rating in late-2008. I currently reside in central New Jersey (I've made the trip to the nice part of town to meet Keith for a lunch), belong to a flying club based out of Morristown Municipal (MMU), and primarily take day trips and weekend trips to various places (Block Island, Tangier Island, Burlington, Ocean City, etc.) or just punch holes in the sky whenever I can.

I have a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry so when not flying or simulating some aspect of aviation, I work as a Process Chemist for a pharmaceutical company here in NJ where I figure out how to scale-up chemical reactions and do the myriad other things that are required to take an oncology drug from discovery to commercialization.

Looking forward to more good experiences on PE and hope to see and hear from you all in the near future.
-----
Matt Kreilein
NinerNiner

Post by NinerNiner »

Ted Bowe, checking in.
I'm a Private Pilot who found out about PE through the latest issue of Computer Pilot magazine. What a great way to stay sharp. I obtained my license out of KOAK (Oakland, CA), but recently moved to Naples, FL. I miss the West Coast and this forces me to bring out the charts and fly my home area again. I am just starting my Instrument Rating and can't wait to get realistic practice without risking my life and those on the ground.
rashadwell

Post by rashadwell »

I'm probably the least experienced person on this pilot edge. I've been simming since 1980's. I've flown just about every sim there is. Took my discovery flight couple of days ago. i'm deciding which flight instructor will teach me. I discoverd Pilot Edge on X-plane.org and am looking forward to practicing so i can achieve my private and instrument rating in the shortest (cheapest) time possible.

Shad
n85988

Post by n85988 »

Hello Everyone,
I'm Glenn Duerr, living in Santa Ana, CA. I started simming with sublogic on the old TRS-80, moving up through each version of Microsoft's sims. I've also used Fly, FlyII, Flight Unlimited, and various other sims. I'm now using FS2004, FSX, and X-Plane9. I worked on my PPL starting at 17, flying various GA aircraft and gliders. I'm very excited to be here and have just completed my second session with ATC. I've been with several other online multiplayer servers, but none compare to the realism I have found here. I feel like I'm back in Ohio where I learned to fly. I'm looking forward to flying here with everyone and to make new friends. By the way, I am much older than I sound online, so don't be fooled.

Glenn Duerr
N85988
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

Hi all,

My name is Patrick Miles. I was born in raised in Alabama and currently reside in Georgia. I recieved my college degree in Communications and worked in sales/marketing for a few years. My family is full of educators and their love of the profession rubbed off on me. I am now on the brink of earning my Master's in Education. My wife is also currently a doctoral student. I would love to be able to mix aviation with my current profession in education.

I began my love for flying when I was just a child and my family took a short trip on a Southwest flight at night. I'll never forget the moon light shinning off the clouds outside my window beginning my love of flying. I began taking flight lessons in 2005 while still in college. Unfortunately, for various reasons I did not complete the program thus never earning my ppl. I have been bit by the bug bad recently and have looked for every opportunity to satisfy my aviation desires. Flight simming will do for now while I build up the financial means to continue my flight lessons and earn my ppl. Thus, enter Piloedge. I found out about Pilotedge from a friend who is also an aspiring pilot. He found out about this program through AOPA's website. I have owned every version of Microsoft's Flight Simulator since their Windows '95 edition. I have taken part in a few different virtual online atc programs and find it to make the flight simming experience much deeper. I hope to continue with Piloedge after the open beta is over but will have to weight the cost benefit a little more since I am trying to save enough cheese to get my real world ppl. Clear skies and God bless!
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

Hello all -

I have to say, what a great tool PilotEdge is! I earned my PPL and got a start on the instrument rating a little over 20 years ago, through the Bates Aeronautics Program at Harvey Mudd College in So Cal. Then life happened, and the possibility of flying seemed remote for a long time. This summer, I went up to Ft. Collins to see my friend Ron, who had flown in the Bates Program with me in college - he had kept flying and is a CFI with several thousand hours...and I got current again!

I remember from my early training that landings were an initial big challenge, but the next big challenge was effective radio communication. There are so many great tools available now that weren't around the last time I flew: GPS, the iPad...and networked flight sims with real, human interaction. I'm excited to start work again toward the instrument rating, and I find it fantastic that there's a tool like PilotEdge, where I can practice communicating, managing the cockpit, and navigating.

Today I did the VFR 1 and 2 tests, and I thought the interaction with ATC was great. I have notes for myself on what I can improve, and I also heard the controller giving some constructive feedback to another pilot - this kind of encouraging (and challenging) environment is just right. I think this is a fantastic idea for a service - thank you!

Doug Dunston
speartylr

Post by speartylr »

Greetings

For those who don't know me, my name is Tom and for those who do, I'm sorry.

I share your interest in flying but I'm still trying to get good at it and that is why I'm here. This is one of those idea's whose time has come and I believe that it is the way of the future.

I also have migrated from the gaming site, and I appreciate all that they do, but I can honestly say, that after being given a vector for a wild goose chase after requesting multiple VFR approaches, I certainly welcome a real world simulation.

I would like to thank Keith Smith and the attending controller at SNA for all their help in getting me up and running.

I look forward to sharing the virtual sky with all of you.

Best
Thomas