[Jan 23] beta report

Keith Smith

[Jan 23] beta report

Post by Keith Smith »

Some fortunate timing of arrivals at SBD made for some fun sequencing last night, as well as the first real use of the new mapping system.

The plane on the left is setting up to hold east of PDZ while the Falcon is vectored for a straight-in visual to SBD. Ideally, this would've been a teardrop entry, heading northeast for a minute after passing PDZ, THEN turning right to join the hold course inbound. It appears to be a parallel entry, which could've been pulled off, however, it would've required a left turn (not a right turn) to remain on the north side of the holding course (ie. well north of hwy 91)

Hold entry and one lap of the hold complete (the pilot was later reminded about the importance of remaining on the protected side during the hold.)

The Falcon and Saratoga are down and safe at SBD, a Skylane is inbound on the ILS Z RWY 6.

I hope the 'hold entry' pilot doesn't mind me posting this. It's a learning environment, after all, and names have been withheld to protected the dignity of those involved. :)
Keith Smith

Re: [Jan 23] beta report

Post by Keith Smith »

It's pretty clear that we're going to want the tracking system to work on historical flights, too, a la vataware/flightaware. It would not be hard to modify the server to record this data for later retrieval and pushing out to the mapping system on demand.

We can make the data as granular or coarse as we like. Right now, these are 10-second datapoints...which actually do a reasonable job of capturing the details of the approach. I'll definitely consider this for the future, as it has some pretty solid application in the commercial training environment.

Edit: pulled the trigger and opened dialogue with Tim K, the author of vataware. No point building this from scratch.
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

:mrgreen:
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Speak of the devil, welcome to PE, Tim!
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

One suggestion on the interval(Assuming it's not a pain for you to program it like this): Copy the methods from the actual update rates in the sim. That is, use 10s or something for normal updates, but anytime the system notices that the plane is changing heading or altitude over some pre-defined rate, have the interval decrease to make the trajectory more precise.

Otherwise it looks really damn good!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good suggestion, but, unfortunately, that's not feasible. In the client/server model, the server is pushing aircraft position updates to each client at a dynamic rate (based on distance from you, and speed of the target). In this model, the client is simply pulling down a list of ALL aircraft with a fixed interval between calls. There's no way to get data for some planes at a different rate than others.
Justin Bumgardner

Post by Justin Bumgardner »

The one thing about that flight last night was that i didn't understand at first what happened and then after you caught me I completely understood. First that entering that hold I turned the wrong 30 degrees to get started. Now that second leg got all fixed but i will say from a person in a school training for the real world, it was great practice and a great flight. No Keith i don't mind you posting those tracks after all that's why anyone of us are flying on pilot edge. It's not to get away from kiddies or just to have something new, it's to learn in a fun and safe environment. I would rather be called out training so i can fix something something rather than getting a call from the local fsdo office for not knowing. After all what would even be the point of such avaiable training. Great job last night Keith, i enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next beta night.

Justin
Justin Bumgardner
Chief Operations Officer www.x-usairways.com