Ever wondered what goes on in special use airspace?

Keith Smith

Ever wondered what goes on in special use airspace?

Post by Keith Smith »

I came across this document while searching for information on military training routes. Anyone with an interest in military aviation will probably enjoy it. There's also some interesting material about some very high power transmitters associated with some deep space tracking projects. There's good information about how the airspace is used, who uses it, when they use it, and how often.
Brian Ratledge

Re: Ever wondered what goes on in special use airspace?

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Wikileaks would be proud. :)
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Seriously though, I did find it interesting. I hope I never find myself on the ground in Superior Valley TTR. It would be really neat to observe VR 1214, and 1215 on an "active day".
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Great find KS. I was browsing for some more military-related stuff for FE matters when I came across these two: http://www.edwards.af.mil/shared/media/ ... 26-047.pdf and http://www.edwards.af.mil/shared/media/ ... 03-052.pdf . It's EDW's own website so the info's beyond first hand and accurate :)

I didn't have a chance to read through it all yet, but there's literally *tons* on routes and what types of activities go on in that chunk of the sky.
Alex Stjepanovic

Two more of similar interest...not all that glorious though. The first is under the same link but instead of 052 in the filename just prior to the extension, type in 051. Same method for the second link, where filename is 048.
Alex Stjepanovic

Found one more - Has an oldish look, but seems to be relatively up to date: http://militarycomms.tripod.com/r-2508/
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I liked the section on chaff and flares. Requires special approval to use them. Betcha no one is being authorized to use flares right now, not with half the mountains already on fire.

I love the high speed corridor. I betcha some interesting craft fly thru there, a few we prolly wouldn't even recognize.