[Jul 17] Adding SFO to coverage area

Keith Smith

[Jul 17] Adding SFO to coverage area

Post by Keith Smith »

Starting Jul 17, San Francisco International Airport (KSFO) will be added as a supported airport on PilotEdge. This is a permanent change in the coverage area.

Limitations:
The support for SFO includes the approach and enroute facilities required for flights to and from the existing coverage area (LAX, LAS, etc). It does not include any other airports in the Oakland Center area.

Flights can be conducted from any airport within ZLA to/from SFO. Clearances will not be issued from SFO to airports outside of the ZLA coverage area (SEA, SLC, PHX, etc).

Controllers have been specifically trained in the operation of SFO, and the SIDs/STARs associated with operations to/from ZLA, but nothing more.

Why SFO?
1) one of our commercial customers has an operational requirement to utilize SFO.

2) we have been wanting to add support for at least one airport outside of the existing coverage area to allow for longer distance flights by existing customers, particularly those who operate transport category aircraft such as the Boeing 737. SFO is an extremely popular airport among simulator enthusiasts and Virtual Airline pilots. Support for SFO allows for legs such as SFO-LAX, SFO-SAN, SFO-LAS, SFO-LGB, SFO-SNA, SFO-ONT and more, along with the reverse legs.

Why just SFO and not the rest of Norcal?
We wanted to add this support without causing undue burden on existing controllers, or adding the need for additional staffing. The compromise was to select just one airport to facilitate longer distance flights, rather than opening an entire facility.

How will this work? How will the recordings work?
SFO, the relevant Norcal Approach sectors, and the relevant Oakland Center sectors will typically covered by the same person working the Los Angeles Center position, expect on specific occasions where additional staffing is provided. For the most part, all interactions involving SFO will be contained within the ZLA Radar recordings.

What are the operating hours for SFO?
Same as the core network hours, 8am-11pm PDT.
seippg

Re: [Jul 17] Adding SFO to coverage area

Post by seippg »

Wow, that's really big news. I hope it stays.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

This is great news for the heavies/ATPs. I will be flying KSFO-KLAS, KSFO-KLAX, and returns, as much as possible while the good times last. Of course, there's nothing quite so enjoyable as having company at close quarters, especially on departure and arrival, if the controller is adept at keeping the traffic close visual with one another. Try flying BSR2 into KSFO when one 744 is turning on top of the Bay Bridge and a friend over MENLO is screaming get out of the way. Even the Sunday afternoon drive KSFO-PORTE4-CZQ-BIH-LIDAT-J92-BTY-FUZZY7-KLAS is nothing short of spectacular if you have a couple of heavies travelling together. Bottom line, if you want company on the KSFO flights while the fun lasts, give me a call and if at all possible I'll be there. You can usually find me in the PE DTP room when doing prep. Or you can call me on Skype at mengyuan2006, and if you call with audio and/or video, and I'm available, it will set off the siren so you're bound to get me. I usually try and do my first flight not long after PE opening time (AEST 0100), but I am my own boss so I can try and fit in with your schedule. See you over the Bay. Oh, and study those KSFO taxi ways! [PS: Keith, not suggesting any violations, just close quarters in lieu of heavy drones.]
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

No worries, Kim. Perhaps try posting a few specific dates and times that you are actually flying in the "Fly with me forum" and see how you do. I know Robert would love to join you in his 777 on that run, no question. I plan on making use of it myself with the JS32 and maybe the CRJ.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Keith Smith wrote:No worries, Kim. Perhaps try posting a few specific dates and times that you are actually flying in the "Fly with me forum" and see how you do. I know Robert would love to join you in his 777 on that run, no question. I plan on making use of it myself with the JS32 and maybe the CRJ.
Ok, shall do so. Tomorrow morning, opening flight, around 0800, flightplan: KLAX 25R.VTU5.RZS J501 BSR.BSR2.28L KSFO or close, depending on weather and ATC. Will post in the other forum as well.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Kim Ellis wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:No worries, Kim. Perhaps try posting a few specific dates and times that you are actually flying in the "Fly with me forum" and see how you do. I know Robert would love to join you in his 777 on that run, no question. I plan on making use of it myself with the JS32 and maybe the CRJ.
Tomorrow morning [(AEST Thursday 18th 0100) i.e. (PDST Wednesday 17th 0800),

(1) flightplan: KLAX 25R.VTU5.RZS J501 BSR.BSR2.28L KSFO, and
(2) flightplan: KSFO 28L.PORTE4.CZQ BIH LIDAT J92 BTY.FUZZY7.28L KLAS).
kullery

Post by kullery »

MyFlightRoute has been updated to include KSFO.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

No audio recordings for 16th and 17th :( and the 17th was so good when American Airlines 211 Heavy heading south out KSFO, Australian 081 Heavy heading north to KSFO, and a controller, met around 30,000' at a closing speed of around 900+ kts, approx 1,000' vertical separation and a few clicks horizontal, for a chat and a cuppa, and had visual for 30 seconds or so. It doesn't get much better. But no audio :( Someone doesn't like me.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That's frustrating, no question. I've restarted them now.
Anthony Santanastaso

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Kim Ellis wrote:No audio recordings for 16th and 17th :( and the 17th was so good when American Airlines 211 Heavy heading south out KSFO, Australian 081 Heavy heading north to KSFO, and a controller, met around 30,000' at a closing speed of around 900+ kts, approx 1,000' vertical separation and a few clicks horizontal, for a chat and a cuppa, and had visual for 30 seconds or so. It doesn't get much better. But no audio :( Someone doesn't like me.
Kim, I remember you saying that you had some video of the flight. Do you have a screenshot or video to post?

(P.S. Watch out for the "dragons!")
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live