recommended headset

Mooniac

recommended headset

Post by Mooniac »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality bluetooth or corded headset that works well with PilotEdge? I have been using my LightSpeed aviation headset through the bluetooth and the quality is excellent, but frankly I would prefer something without the weight for spending time at the computer. I also just got TrackIR with the pro-clip and it is a bit awkward with the Lightspeed headset (due to the thickness of the headband).
Thanks
Alisha Clarke
Instrument Rated SEL PPL
Mooney M20F owner/pilot
Keith Smith

Re: recommended headset

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm using a $20 USB headset from Best Buy with just one ear piece (leaves the other ear open). I don't run my ATC audio back through the headset, but instead run everything through the speakers for a number of reasons. It works great.

It's ironic that so many people try to get their aviation headsets working with a PC and will spend quite a bit of money doing it...and here you are going the other way :) I've always felt that it was overkill using aviation headsets at home. Aviation headsets provide a level of noise attenuation that just isn't needed unless you routinely have hurricane force winds blowing through your house...in which case, I commend your steely resolve to utilize a flight simulator under those trying conditions.

Short of that, though, I'm a big fan of a lightweight, cheap headset and save the money for real flying or sim upgrades!
Mooniac

Post by Mooniac »

Fortunately I haven't had any hurricane force winds blowing through the house. :lol: While I love my Lightspeeds, it does seem like overkill to use them at the computer. It actually seems unreal to have the ANR on in the house. The only outside sounds I hear are the dogs barking and can't even really hear the engine noise from the speakers.

Of course it's kind of handy to block out the sound of my partner asking me to wash the dishes. ;)

Good to know the cheap headset works. That's what I would prefer, but I wanted to make sure the mic quality is good enough.
Alisha
Alisha Clarke
Instrument Rated SEL PPL
Mooney M20F owner/pilot
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I actually enjoy using my David Clarks with Pilot Edge, as the adapter I use is only $40. There are ones that cost more than double, which is ridiculous. If you really want something cheap, check eBay for some Plantronics USB headsets. I have a pair a bought a few years ago on eBay cheap and they worked fine, but keeping it on my ear was frustrating at times. I went to the headset adapter because I just prefer the DC's I had anyway. To each his own, I suppose.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

I love using my DC's, too, but I do have a $25 Logitech set that I travel with. I also have a steelseries neckband headset that is quite comfortable: http://steelseries.com/products/audio/s ... a-neckband
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
rgrazian

Post by rgrazian »

I also use a cheap "one eared" USB headset. I save the A20's for the plane. If I used them at home, I'd never hear my wife calling me from downstairs. Oh wait a minute... Now I get it...! Maybe I should go get an adaptor. ;)
Rob G.
Private Pilot
Instrument Airplane; ASEL
wdhurley

Post by wdhurley »

Being an avid gamer on top of pilot, I bought a set of Turtle Beach X11's (wired) for my xbox a few years back. When I started building my sim, they became a permanent addition. They "feel" like an aviation headset but are much lighter and have great audio performance.
Mooniac

Post by Mooniac »

Just as a follow-up, I bought a Logitech USB headset (mono, one ear) on Amazon for $20. I'm using it as Keith suggested, just for the mic with sound coming through the PC speakers. I'm very happy with that setup. :D
Alisha Clarke
Instrument Rated SEL PPL
Mooney M20F owner/pilot