Sunday night fly in KLAS - KLAX

Daddy O

Sunday night fly in KLAS - KLAX

Post by Daddy O »

Kind of odd. I was instructed to taxi behind another aircraft to 19L at KLAS. But the other plane appeared to be rolling on one wing (on the ground.) After that it kind of wandered out into a pasture, rolled upside down, and meandered around the place for a while. I decided to just taxi to the end of 19, do my runup and such. when I switched to tower frequency I got no reaponse to any of my calls. I checked the PilotEdge map and I did not appear to be on it. I checked the homepage and it listed pilots and drones, but no controllers. I wentahead and disconnected/reconnected, but then Xplane shut down apruptly on my main box (the secondary PCs stayed up and reconnected just fine when I relaunched Xplane/PE.)

When I reconnected everything worked fine, well...right until I ingested a flock of birds on takeoff roll. I lost all power, ran off the end of the runway (thrust reversers were non-op)and through the desert till I got to the highway. Brakes suck at 160 knots. After going through all that I had to restart back at the taxiway again.

Kieth, you sounded busy tonight!
c.b.powell

Re: Sunday night fly in KLAS - KLAX

Post by c.b.powell »

Now that is what I call a busy night! I've never seen 20+ pilots in the system before. The controllers were certainly working hard this evening. I really enjoyed having that level of radio chatter and traffic; the only thing wrong was the 45 knot headwind out in the desert. :-/

Interestingly, I too experienced a visual glitch. Taxiing and departing KPSP, another Skylane pilot and I were both talking with ground and very near each other on the tarmac, yet I never could see him. No other troubles with the connection nor audio though; it was just curious to not see the other plane when he's supposedly right in front of me on the taxiway. <shrug>

Chris
Rauerb3

Post by Rauerb3 »

The guys were really working hard tonight. I had a great flight :!:
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Yep, it was interesting watching a jumbo jet roll around in the dirt like a horse that just got its saddle off. I tried to get a screenshot but when Xplanes closed abruptly the photo was no longer in memory. Bummer. It looked especially wierd when the plane (Cactus I think it was) had one wing in the air like a big sail. I even turned the aircraft to one side so I could observe through my right window and it was doing it there too, so it was not isolated to my primary display.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Adam,

The 'rolling and wandering' planes are caused when your connection to the server is lost (since there were no mass disconnections, I have to assume it was your connection that momentarily burped). This used to cause an instant crash, but in recent versions, this has been downgraded to a logged event and the sim keeps running....rather uselessly, mind you. I say that, because you remain disconnected (although your client doesn't know it). It draws planes as best as it can, with increasing stale data.

When you realize something is amiss, you attempt to disconnect (with the idea of reconnecting), but it crashes to the desktop.

This is already documented as Issue #5 in the Known Issues list (no need to go through the work of taking screen shots).

The solution, of course, is to modify the client to become 'unexpected disconnect safe'.

For now, if you notice you're no longer on the list...and planes are doing weird things, just know that when you attempt to disco, XP is going to take a dive until we can get that fixed.