who is heard in headset

dental1

who is heard in headset

Post by dental1 »

Hi
Just wondering if its possible to hear other pilots talking back and forth to ATC, not just ATC
thx Lee
Keith Smith

Re: who is heard in headset

Post by Keith Smith »

Sure, if they're on the same frequency as you. Our controller work multiple positions here (which also happens in real life, but on a bigger scale), so you're hearing them make transmissions that are destined for pilots on other frequencies. Here's a real world example of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_CNPPIdwbw. Go to the 50 second mark, notice that you hear ATC, but you don't hear the pilot's response. It happens several times in that video...in fact, you never hear another pilot's voice on the radio in the whole clip.
golfpilot

Post by golfpilot »

The reason you hear the controller even when they aren't on your frequency is so you won't talk to them while they are talking to someone else. They are human.
Andrew Roberts
Real World Private Pilot w/instrument
Walnut Creek, CA
PE callsign: N56PA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Actually the reason is because when a controller is handling multiple frequencies in the real world (happens all the time), they only have one PTT button. When they press it, the transmission occurs on all of the frequencies they're working (unless they want to continuously click buttons on their voice switching system to change their active frequencies).

It's very common when you fly in the real system to only hear the controller's part of the conversation.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

An update on this ... the server was recently changed such that you will now hear the other pilots on the frequency when the controller that you are tuned to is covering the ground positions.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

And another update as of 10/10/2015: We have essentially installed repeaters on the clearance and ground frequencies ONLY. They will be in use at all times other than if there is a dedicated clearance or ground controller for a given airport (which typically only occurs during an event).
Sabreliner

Post by Sabreliner »

Hello, I have a great question regarding this communication frequency range. Today, I flew with center control and the controller got upset with myself and other pilots because we were stepping on each other. I could not hear anyone else on my center frequency. I stated this to the center controller and he said I should be able to hear the other pilots. According to what you posted, it seems pilots should only hear other ground controllers. My understanding of this is pilots should hear everyone when on the ground but only pilots on the same frequency when airborne. This is how it works for me. If this is the case, then perhaps everyone should be heard in the air as well.

Alan J
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Controller was having difficulty with the constant blocks today, I guess most PE pilots have been accustomed to always hearing others and were constantly breaking in even right after controller direction to another pilot.

It was a little daunting to guess when others were done, I would pause before keying in but was always waiting a little long and ended up missing my TOD and not getting down in time.

I ended up launching the receiver and that helped me know when to break in. While admittedly that breaks the immersion of RW coms, at least I knew I wasn't blocking someone.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The controller wasn't aware of the change, I apologize for that.

This change was a strategic decision that was explained in the frequency isolation thread. It might take a while for people to adjust, including the controllers. For example, it will not be a good idea to issue a few freq changes to airborne aircraft and then issue an ifr clearance to a plane on the ground.

Pilots will need to listen a bit more closely to make an educated guess as to when to check in. Be as brief as you can with your calls.

If we need to increase the scope of the repeaters to include tower, we will, but I want to give this a fair shot. As I said, in this case the controller didn't know the change had occurred, so he would have been surprised by the blocks. Understanding how it now works, that is not likely to be an issue.

Bob, while this is new for more recent users who are now used to the party line setup for single controller ops, the use of repeaters is a relatively new thing. We had complete isolation in the past.

I will try to make a more detailed post about the thinking behind this change when able. Typng on iPad is painful.