Unable to hear other pilots [on other freqs]

robertvo

Unable to hear other pilots [on other freqs]

Post by robertvo »

It seems like most of the time 8 out of 10 I don't hear other pilots.
However I can hear the controller talking to the pilots absolutely fine.
Sometimes I can hear the other pilots too, but most of the times not. I think the first time I flew with you guys about 2 months ago, I could hear everyone fine.
Is it an issue on my side or your side?

For example: I'm on ground and I know some other guy is requesting a taxi, but I dont hear him, I just hear the controller replying.

let me know what can be done, thank you!
Keith Smith

Re: Unable to hear other pilots

Post by Keith Smith »

Are you at the same airport, on the same frequency as that pilot?

The controllers often work multiple freqs (like real life but on a bigger scale).

You're only going to hear pilots if they're:
a) on the same frequency as you
b) within range, based on your altitude and their altitude

This is exactly what happens in the r/w too.
robertvo

Post by robertvo »

Ok, I think the problem was that I was on an airport A and was hearing controler giving taxi instructions on an airport B,
but definitely I did not hear the pilot replying.
So, as you say, the controler broadcasts on multiple frequencies (one that I can hear) but the other pilot is replying on a frequency I don't hear.
That makes sense, I didn't know it worked that way.

Since I don't hear the other pilot on a different frequency I can easily step on him/her. Will the controler hear both of us?
Let's say there are 3 people talking at 3 different frequencies to the same controler at the same time, Is that a problem?
How does that work technicaly?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, the controller will hear all 3 transmissions at the same time. It's similar to a pilot listening to ATC on COM1 while getting an ATIS on COM2. They're separate radios, so the transmissions come in clearly, but mixed together.

As a pilot, you need not be concerned that another pilot might be talking to the controller on another frequency. If YOUR frequency is clear, then go ahead and transmit. The controller will deal with it. This is exactly the same thing that happens at, say, Caldwell or Morristown, when del/gnd/twr are all being worked by a single controller.