Garmin 430 too small on c172

ronsinda

Garmin 430 too small on c172

Post by ronsinda »

I'm new to x-plane and the 430 is too small to see or use. Is there any way to make it bigger. In 3d cockpit is a little better. I would like to undock it or create a new window like I can do in fax.

Thx

Ron
Keith Smith

Re: Garmin 430 too small on c172

Post by Keith Smith »

The stock 430 that comes with Xplane is truly awful. The first thing I do is pull it out (using planemaker) and replace it with a non-GPS panel, using the KX-155 radios, either with or without stdby slots, depending on how frisky I'm feeling.

If you want a GPS that actually works, you'll want to look into either the Reality XP product for X-Plane, or the KLN GPS plugin that was released (free) on x-plane.org.

If you can live without the ability to shoot GPS approaches, I can heartily recommend simply not using GPS at all and just use VOR, or VOR/DME.

If you're curious, the reason that X-Plane doesn't really come with a fully functioning GPS (afaik) is that it was designed to interface with a real Garmin 430/530, so the author opted to not build a fully-functioning replica in the sim.

Keith
ronsinda

Re: Garmin 430 too small on c172

Post by ronsinda »

Thanks, I am too dependent on the GPS and will use Pilot Edge to work more with VOR's

I have the Reality 430 and other gagues in FSX and like the 430 very much. So will try it when I can get FSX logged into your system. I bought the FTS Archer analog panels and build a panel of my actual Archer II with one 430 and it works well but sometime I get have issues with the FTS SimAVIO software - seems to hang and I need to reboot. Otherwise for X-Plane, I love these panels and run them on the same computer but a different monitor. I have a 23 inch Acer touch screen that I really like for buttons but not the knobs - the seem difficut to use and I resort to my mouse for speed in setting the 430. Definately slower than in the actual aircraft.

Ron