Oshkosh 2011 report

Keith Smith

Oshkosh 2011 report

Post by Keith Smith »

Day 0: Getting there
VFR from N07 to KGVQ to get gas. Picked up an IFR clearance about 80% of the way there as the clouds started thickening up below me. Shot the ILS, broke out around 800AGL, stopped for fuel, then picked up the clearance from GVQ to FLD. The clearance was as filed, "BUF V84 ECK V337 HIC CYNDI" (that's from memory, so don't shoot me if it's off).

I was hoping to see Niagra Falls on the way out but the clouds below had other plans. During the departure, I heard ATC warning a pilot that Rochester airport was below VFR minimums and to say intentions. That pilot turned around and flew back to Ohio, from whence he came. It's days like this where I'm very grateful for the instrument rating. I climbed through a layer that was 1500-2000ft thick, and didn't fly through another cloud for the entire day. I climbed up to 10,000ft and just enjoyed the ride.

It was my first time flying over Canada, and working with Canadian controllers. There was a funny exchange with a busy center controller. I had a moment of doubt about my "cleared as filed" routing, where I wasn't 100% sure what I'd filed :) Normally I have this stuff printed out, but I no longer have a printer at home, and the departure was somewhat rushed (that's putting it mildly) for a laundry list of reasons. I was 95% sure it was what I'd listed above, but at one point, I was toying with a slightly different route after ECK (Peck VOR), so I thought I'd double check with the center controller. "Standby," he says, and then talks for a few minutes non-stop to a steady stream of pilots leaving and joining the frequency. This is clearly not the man I should be asking for a full route clearance. I rack my brain for an alternative way to double check my clearance. Then it hits me...my phone! I'd received an alert from FlightAware with my route when I woke up in the morning and I remember seeing that and saying, "yep, that's what I filed." So, I powered up the phone (in Airplane mode), dug up my email (it caches a good number of messages for easy offline reading) and found the alert. Yep, the route was what I thought. "Center, disregard the full route clearance request."

A few calls later to other aircraft he says, "ahh very good....you know where you're going now, do you?" Well, I earned that :) I really don't like to bother a controller who has a flow going, but figured it was far better than getting a pilot deviation. In other words, if I had a trivial request, I would've saved it for another time, but for something as important as a route clearance question, I will ask if in doubt, no matter what. Thankfully, the phone was able to remove my doubt.

The route took me just north of Lake Erie, across the bottom of Lake Huron, and then within viewing distance of Saginaw Bay. For some reason, an old Simon & Garfunkel tune popped into my head that I'd first heard as a child..."it took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw..." I then spent a few minutes singing the song in my head....it's official, I'm getting old. :) Oh well, I still enjoy Primus quite a bit, so there's still some fight left in me!

I'd toyed with various altitudes in the flight planning phase the night before, and I kept hearing a Mooney checking in on frequencies with me (usually later and later, though, so he was falling behind). He was VFR at 6500ft. I asked ATC if the Mooney was in my area and heading in the same direction. ATC said he was. I asked ATC if could solicit a wind report from that aircraft (bear in mind, this is not the same busy enroute controller from earlier). The Mooney said he was unable to produce a wind report. Wow, really...he had no idea what kind of headwind component he was dealing with? In any case, ATC then asked a CRJ that was descending through a similar altitude for a wind report and the pilot was happy to oblige. The winds sounded tempting, so I requested and eventually received 8000. No change in ground speed, what a wild goose chase.

During a quieter moment, I asked ATC if I could contact Flight Watch to pick up weather for the destination. They said to be back within 4 minutes. I started a timer and made the switch to 122.00. "[facility name] Flight Watch, Lancair 360JH 4 northeast of [VOR name], over" (I don't recall the facility name or VOR now). They read the weather to me, VFR and clear skies. Excellent, and a nice surprise, too. The forecast on the RUC soundings looked pretty awful the night before. This was the first time they'd been wrong, although I was happy to hear it.

I check back in with ATC with about 20 seconds left on the clock (Flight Watch likes to keep you on frequency as long as possible, I think they're lonely). About 30-40 minutes later, I'm given a re-route for the destination. It's a small change, but it will increase the over water portion from 40 miles to something like 60 miles. Not great. Shortly after that, I'm asked if I have an IFR reservation for the destination. Indeed I do. In fact, it's the only reason I'm getting here so early, otherwise I would've left considerably later, but there were no slots available at that time.

The facility has no record of the reservation number on the remarks section of the flight plan. I didn't think to copy it down because the notam stated I'd only need to include it in the flight plan. I was then cleared to another VOR and to expect holding until I was ready to say intentions. Given the weather was VFR at the destination, I opted to cancel IFR there and then. It was the right decision, and resulted in a shorter over-water portion, but things would've been considerably different if the field was IFR. That would've required picking another destination, which would've been super awkward because I didn't have approach plates for other airports (other than the alternate, which was also under the same notam).

Canceled IFR even though I had a solid undercast, but I had faith it would disappear. The end of it was vaguely in sight in the distance, and I still had about 80nm to go to my destination. I flew over Lake Michigan at 10,500ft and started the descent shortly after the half-way mark. I changed the Garmin 420 nav page slightly, removing the "cross track error" field and replacing it with "vertical speed required." I configured the Garmin to show the VSR to be 1000ft above a point 2nm prior to the destination. When the number reached -600fpm, I eased the nose down and rode it down. It worked out beautifully with a single constant rate descent all the way down to pattern altitude.

The controller at FLD was not at all busy. A line of thunderstorms was passing south of Lake Michigan and was blocking a boatload of traffic that was inbound for the field. So, it was really just a few planes trickling in from the west and due east (most ppl don't do the over water routing from what I understand, so those that went south would've been hosed by the storms, too). So, being bored and friendly, the controller was asking each pilot where they were from and wishing everyone well for their stay at Oshkosh. It was so warm and friendly...what a great start to the trip!

I called about 15nm east of the field. A Bonanza had called about 10 southeast of the field. This was going to be interesting. I figured there was little chance I'd catch him or even be in conflict, but I kept my ears open. I was told to report a right downwind for rwy 36, the Bo was given a right base for 36. At one point, I gave him an update, saying I was 8nm out, if it would help with his planning. He said, "you might just catch him, but for now, enter right downwind rwy 36."

As I entered the downwind, the Bo was just crossing over the numbers. Good times! The controller said, "you nearly had him!" "oh well, we tried' :) I actually didn't do a single thing differently...I tend to keep my speed up as long as possible anyway, traffic permitting. It's a good skill to have when the weather is dodgy, it gets you in and out of the area as quickly as possible.

Turning base, I had a feeling that I've never once had in my life. I suddenly found myself caring about making a good landing. It's hard to explain, but here was a controller who clearly loved aviation and clearly loved Oshkosh. I wanted him to see a home built aircraft arrive at his airport and do a good job. This is an EAA gathering, after all! I wanted it to be on centerline, touch down pretty much where I wanted, make the exit that I wanted, and I wanted it to look good. The last part was the new addition that has never once been on my list. It's not that I wanted to impress the controller, I'm sure he'd seen it all...but I wanted to show Lancairs in a good light, if that makes any sense. The landing went well and the controller said, "you've done this before." Mission accomplished. He asked a few questions about the airplane then sent me to the ramp where I was greeted by some of the nicest line guys you'll ever want to meet.

Not a bad way to kick off the week.
c.b.powell

Re: Oshkosh 2011 report

Post by c.b.powell »

Outstanding stuff, do keep posting as the event continues...
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

A great website about the ATC side of Oshkosh is featured on Liveatc.net. Some great reading here: http://www.airventure.org/atc/
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
TheMadDocMD

Post by TheMadDocMD »

Awesome reading Keith - now go promote the hell out of this! haha
MD
Real World Controller
FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) Graduate - Sacramento, CA
FAA Certificated Aircraft Dispatcher
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

You should ask the tower to do a few low passes in LNC2 midday! :D

Enjoy yourself up there Keith.
Andrew Doubleday

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

Sounds like fun... I miss flying, need to get current again. Reading this even re-inspires me to finish the instrument rating... I need 10 hours of cross country time. Hopefully I can get to that before I leave school.

Do you remember the voice of the controller you talked with at ROC by chance? I have a good friend working there at the ATCT (it's an up-down still). You'd recognize his voice if he sounded like he had a thick midwestern (central Iowa, to be specific) accent on the radio... I've had the chance to go into the tower and TRACON there a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd put in for New York to try and get there honestly... Not a bad facility.

-AJ
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

Andrew Doubleday

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

Best wishes at OSH as well, Keith. wish we could provide services for you during the demos (if you have any planned). Would be great to be there... I've lived so close for many years but never been to AirVenture before... Shame on me.
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Nearly 2am, have to get up in 4hrs. Great days, will post more when able...

For clarity, we are demoing continuously from 9am-5pm every day. It is on a closed system with 3 sims, one scope and a tower view. I control half the time, Markian works the rest

Aopa did a video shoot today, an interview, and filmed some flying and scope action. Magazine piece to follow. The deputy editor, Ian Twombly, flew earlier in the day and said he'd be back with a film crew. He was back a few hours later.

People are loving it here. Will see if we can capture some video of the audience.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Should we be flying during the day to add coverage for the event?
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Should we be flying during the day to add coverage for the event?
No, the ramp at OSH doesn't have internet so its all being done on a closed system.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net