Please check out my new iPad/iPhone aviation app

c.b.powell

Please check out my new iPad/iPhone aviation app

Post by c.b.powell »

Hi, everyone. I'm an instrument-rated pilot IRL and I also fly regularly on PE to keep my skills sharp.

I wrote an app for iPad & iPhone called Wild Blue Flight Tools; Keith gave me his blessing to mention it here. It's a set of tools and calculators that I put together to, as they say, "scratch an itch." I wanted to remove the drudge-work from everyday in-flight calculations & activities, and to automate some basic tasks that could use automating. It's designed for 'real life' pilots but it's just as useful in the sim too. (I use it in the cockpit as well as every time I fly in PE.) You can learn more here: http://wildblue.prylis.com

Feature overview:

Route assistant
Network-free, automatic optimal-route planning between FAA navaids and fixes…
Time recorder
Tap to record important times such as Engine Start & Stop, Block Out & In, Takeoff, Landing, and so on…
Descent planner
Let the tool plan your descent to a new altitude in FPM and nautical miles…
Density altitude
Not just the usual “quickie” dry density altitude, but also an accurate humidity-corrected density altitude based on dewpoint…
Wind direction & velocity
Actual wind direction and velocity, also separated into headwind/crosswind components…
Approach timer
A minutes-seconds approach timer for IFR approaches…
International units
Inches of mercury or millibars, feet or meters, knots or MPH, Celsius or Fahrenheit, you're covered…
Other useful calculators
Pressure altitude and true airspeed…

More features are on the way. I'm already receiving some good suggestions from existing users, and development will remain active.

Regards,
Chris Powell

P.S. Aviation bloggers: if you maintain an existing aviation-related blog and would care to review Wild Blue Flight Tools on your blog, please contact me for a promotion code.
Keith Smith

Re: Please check out my new iPad/iPhone aviation app

Post by Keith Smith »

Sounds great, Chris. The route planning and various timers sound great.

If an Android version comes to pass, I will be all over it.

That said, I can also see myself getting an ipad at some point. The novelty of purchasing $25 worth of charts for these long trips is slowly but surely wearing off.
Andrew Doubleday

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

Chris,

Does it work on Androids? I happen to be an Android guy (apparently along with Keith as well), unfortunately. ;)

-AJ
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

c.b.powell

Post by c.b.powell »

Andrew Doubleday wrote:Chris,

Does it work on Androids? I happen to be an Android guy (apparently along with Keith as well), unfortunately. ;)

-AJ
I've received a number of Android requests! I developed first for the platform that I have, but I would like to work on an Android port. There will be some considerable ramp-up time to learn the new platform, so I'm afraid it won't happen right away.

Chris