some nice feedback...

Keith Smith

Re: some nice feedback...

Post by Keith Smith »

"I'm just about to solo and my instructor told me I'm one of the first students he's had to solo with the least amount of hours logged thus far. I attribute this to my experience on PilotEdge and the rating program. I feel very confident on the radios, which allows me to dedicate my mental energies towards actually flying the plane...

...I'm learning that flying is largely a matter of being able to divide your attention between multiple variables. It's nice to not feel overwhelmed when the radio chatter is busy and to feel confident I can comply with ATC instruction if they throw a curve ball at me.

I also find myself subconsciously looking for traffic in the right spot because I picked up on the radio chatter: such as looking down at the runway and final corridor when I'm on a crosswind to downwind turn because I heard tower clear another aircraft on for the runway I'm about to land on. It's a good feeling to be able to tell ATC I have the traffic in sight before they ask me to look for it. I can see how PilotEdge has allowed me to be much more aware of my surroundings in the real world." - Brett M.
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

This was an email I sent to Keith after passing my instrument rating (about two months ago). I've been meaning to post in here but keep forgetting.
I passed my instrument checkride this morning with flying colors, thanks in no small part to PilotEdge. It took me a really long time (well over a year) to build up the hours due to a bunch of different things, but being able to practice on PilotEdge kept that from being a problem. My instructor and I had to stretch to get that last 1.5 hours in... couldn't think of anything that needed work.

The workshops you put out were incredibly helpful with planning, chart interpretation, basically everything. I did read the FAA handbooks of course, but the in-depth, practical look at material (along with the discussion afterward) made all the difference in the world. With that solid knowledge base the oral portion went very quickly. The examiner didn't feel the need to go into details on anything.

Thank you (and all the staff) so much for the service.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Last Tuesday I successfully passed my Instrument practical test. Communications were never an issue thanks in great part to your team and the service you provide to the student pilot. Passing the test without PilotEdge may have been possible but it was definitely easier to have experienced all of the communication situations that your service makes possible. I plan to continue to use PilotEdge to keep my comms sharp.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Tim Bransford
Sabreliner

Post by Sabreliner »

Hello, I have just recently started to use this network and must say it is very nice. I love the continuous coverage and the professionalism. This network is a MUST addon for FSX! Thanks again for the great service!

Alan J
asad112

Post by asad112 »

Thought I'd share this fun bit of ATC exchange I had with KTKI Tower last Saturday.

http://picosong.com/LPXX/
(I am Cessna '947)

At nine hours total so far, this is the busiest pattern I have always been in. I believe at one point there were five airplanes in the pattern and a couple holding short. Yet, I was totally able to put all my effort and energy into flying the plane and spotting traffic rather than worry about my communication with ATC. Without out a shadow of a doubt, PilotEdge is the reason for this. I feel radio communications is really starting to roll off my tongue with little thought to it. I can't imagine how much more difficult learning to fly would if I didn't have this knowledge I have going into it.

*inflates ego* Kind of funny, I feel I am the one apologizing to ATC on PE on a regular basis. Who would have known it would have been the other way around in real life? :) *deflates ego*
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Sounds good dude. Traffic patterns are common to me - I work KDLH ATCT in Duluth, MN. Controllers who admit they screwed up are the best hehe... no sense on lying as it just makes matters worse.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
flatbedder

Post by flatbedder »

I love Pilotedge. Passed my checkride for my PPL last Saturday. Just got my V3. Entering downwind for 29R at Torrance I got turned around and headed downwind for 11R. Don't ask me how I got it confused because I don't know. The controller was very gracious and got me headed the back the way I was supposed to go. I am thankful for learning tools like Pilotedge to help me get better and use my "License to Learn".
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

from Tom Lecompte
I just wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed PilotEdge and your Real World IFR videos since joining three months ago (I heard about it through [liveatc.net founder] and the IMC Club). I've been a licensed pilot since 1988, IFR rated since 1995, a passion that for me started with Bruce Artwick's MS Flight Simulator and SubLogic. I pretty much learned VOR navigation flying between Chicago Meigs and Champaign-Urbana over a crudely drawn landscape of geometric squares. At a certain point, it just made sense to take up the real thing. I now have 1600 hours and own a 1962 Piper Comanche.

I fly about 150 hrs a year and maintain my IFR currency, which includes regular proficiency checks with CFIIs. I have to admit that working with PilotEdge made me realize just how much things have changed since I got my IFR ticket. The existence of TEC routes was one of them. (I have a pilot friend who just passed his IFR flight exam who said he didn't about them, either. Go figure.) While so much of the flight simulator industry has focused expanded upon and improving scenery packages and aircraft fleets, I find that PilotEdge brings Flight Simulation to a place where the difference between simulated and real has never has never been narrower. I truly believe I am becoming a more proficient pilot using PilotEdge.
xpga

Post by xpga »

I did my first flight on PilotEdge yesterday. I was little skeptical on the technical aspect since I login from India and I was worried about the latency even though I have good broadband connection. But everything went smoothly and I am surely converting my trial period into annual subscription.

My previois experience with online flying was with a network called west coast atc. It was when I was in United States picking up my MS Electrical Engineering degree. Always wanted to get actual PPL while I was in US, but workload did not allow any distractions. Now PE has made that dream seem almost real :)
JWPE

Post by JWPE »

I'm a private pilot who finally decided to buckle down on my instrument rating. I'm a handful of lessons into it but fly about 100 hours VFR a year. I'm a bit cyclic on playing with simulators but felt now would be a good time to use PE as a training tool.

Jumped right in to I1 since I'm familiar with shooting an ILS approach. Was extremely impressed with the controllers professionalism and knowledge. Post landing I allowed the plane to essentially stop on the runway as I was fiddling with switches and mouse clicks. The controller called me out and reminded me to exit the runway immediately when able post landing.

Looking forward to the next ratings and ultimately my instrument checkride. PE will help me become a better real life and virtual pilot...