some nice feedback...

Keith Smith

Re: some nice feedback...

Post by Keith Smith »

I have spent about 3 weeks with PilotEdge. After a very easy setup and launch of the application, I was getting routed around by real ATC's and printing piles of APP/DEP plates and digging for my Directory. There are planes and helicopters everywhere! Constant chatter on comms. I feel like I need to have my head on a swivel at all times. I actually caught myself white knuckled on the yoke. I've never found such an immersed multiplayer environment that I use in free flight. I can't tell you how fantastic this all is, and how privileged I feel to be a part of it.
maxlago

Post by maxlago »

I couldn't agree more with, and relate to, the comments and experiences mentioned above. I'm a private pilot and have completed all requirements to get my IFR certification, except, of course, doing the check ride, because I don't feel sharp enough for that (I bet my instructor agrees with that). I've found and started using PE just a couple days ago, but it has already become a fundamental tool in my training to the IFR certification. A lot of the skills required for that certification can only be obtained by the proper mental conditioning, and PE is definitely a cost effective way to get that. Great job!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

A nice post from a gentleman doing his I-1 rating at SNA last night:
I am just recently current r/w after not having flown for 20 years, and I'm looking at finally getting that instrument rating I started back then - I need to figure out if there's some CFII in Albuquerque who might be a good match for me - and I am thrilled to be able to have X-Plane and PilotEdge. After each session on PilotEdge, I can just feel how my ability to stay ahead of the airplane is getting more and more solid and consistent. So thanks again, and I look forward to talking with you and the rest of the PE team in the PE skies!
I actually performed horribly while vectoring this pilot for the ILS RWY 19R approach into SNA as I allowed myself to become distracted by an emerging technical issue on the server. As a result, he was about to fly through the localizer. Having received no approach clearance, an instruction to join the localizer, or any notification that he was going to be vectored through the localizer, he did exactly the right thing...he queried ATC and requested another vector while remaining on his assigned heading. Perfect execution. He later sent me a message saying that it ADDED to his experience, rather than detracting from it.

Obviously, I don't feel great that I delivered sub-standard service, but I'm thankful that it actually added to his overall training experience.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

A nice note from one of our frequent visitors...
I have found PE extraordinary for training purposes. I have had the opportunity to learn from mistakes I didn't have to make in real life in the air and they are now burned into memory. For instance getting all preoccupied with taxi instructions and looking at the ground chart whilst thinking about the instrument approach I plan to fly and failing to bring up the departure chart and then flying right through airspace I was supposed to turn to avoid. Or when my 3 year old distracted me during another departure that I was supposed to follow altitude restrictions in and I just climbed right through to assigned altitude. Those are scenarios that could have happened in real life and since I learned them on the sim I have a personal example of how important these steps are and not to brush over them in a rush to get on with the flight. My VFR class C airspace incursion last night into Ontario's outer circle last night. Once again, I had planned on the sectional and also looking up the airport in the California Pilots Guide. I allowed myself to get too far to the East avoiding the LAX airspace which is what I was fixated on. By learning this in the sim with PE I don't have to answer to the FAA, write any letters or be subject to any license action. My overall attention to smaller details is being honed by using PE. If other pilots can truly understand the immense value that this offers... the word just has to get out!
ianbennett

Post by ianbennett »

Hi,

Ok I will also give you my feedback after 5 flight on pilotedge: Fantastic, absolutely fantastic experience, I was feeling stress as I reel flight, I am a VFR pilot in France.

As others said it just feels so reel, and also to be added the controls are really nice and are ready to slow down a clearance or repeat if needed, very very nice guys and so professional. Thank you again.

And to catch up with some of the first posts, we're should I send my 70$ monthly? ....

Ian Bennett
Count me in as a big fan of Pilotedge.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

A nice one from a Norcal Approach controller...
Well, I went for my first flight and I must say I am very impressed.

I threw your guys a little clearance curveball and they handled it well. They even busted my chops for screwing up my departure turn and exceeding 200 knots below the Bravo. I had to pull "my minimum speed today" out of my pocket.

Adding the real ATC component really compressed the time factor on the short LGB-LAX segment. I was heads down way more than I wanted tuning frequencies and downright scrambling at times to get everything done.

Despite my system locking up after reaching 7,000 on the first attempt.I am sold. PE adds the missing piece to the PC flight sim experience. I am looking forward to my next PE flight.
maxlago

Post by maxlago »

I'm not big on posting, but I feel I needed to share with the PE community that I've got my (real life) IFR ticket last week. PE was a great tool in helping me achieving that certification and I'm sure it saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in additional training that I'd have required if I didn't have PE to complete my real life training. I plan on keeping my PE subscription not only to help me keep my proficiency, but to improve it as well, as I build experience in my real life flights at the same time.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Congrats on the instrument rating, that's a great achievement! You are spot on, too, that you can use PE to help maintain your proficiency. I use the tool for that all the time. It's the only thing that makes me feel confident about jumping into the plane in IMC and shooting approaches to precision minimums even if I haven't shot a real approach in a few months.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Another nice one from a PE regular who is about to go for his PPL checkride:
Also, I wanted to say thanks to all the controllers. My first month on PE, I flew like crazy and made my fair share of mistakes. I learned an incredible amount in just a few weeks of flying here - knowledge that would have cost hundreds of dollars and months of scheduling in the real world. As a result, my cross-country training and solos went very smoothly. I felt I was prepared for anything, and communicating with center/approach was just like I had done it on PilotEdge! This couldn't have come out at a better time for me.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

From a fellow who just got his instrument ticket:
I've been a member of PE now for about 6 months. I just finished my (RW) instrument rating in April, and I can say having access to this system was incredibly helpful in getting across the line.

I think PE is oriented to those folks, like me, who need real-life interactions with ATC, conducted in a real-world way, consistently and accurately. Every radio position is monitored, so you get to talk with Clearance Delivery, Ground, Tower, Departures and Centers (and back through the chain) no matter where you're coming from or going to. I still use it, but less than I did, because I find that it adds a dimension to my flight simming that nothing else can. I'm sure the RW pilots here can tell you that the biggest challenge in flying, especially IFR, is getting and keeping your brain tuned and ahead of the airplane, and being able to smoothly handle the a/c, communications and navigation, all at the same time. PE has been fantastic for me in that regard.

For me, it's worth the $$$. I'm willing to spend $240 a year or so (there are a few discounts out there) to have a source for staying "in the system" without paying by the Hobbs hour.