some nice feedback...

Keith Smith

Re: some nice feedback...

Post by Keith Smith »

Joey, I appreciate that, but there are many forum contributors who do exactly the same thing, some of whom are controllers, others are customers who also want to help people through the forum. The PE forum and Discord are great gathering places for the community for asynchronous, near real-time, and real-time exchanges. I'm really glad we have both resources. A lot of people have helped a lot of other people through both of these venues.
AeroEng

Post by AeroEng »

I second the controllers on PE. I was doing my CAT-5 about 5 minutes ago. I have a PPL IRL but haven't flown in a long time. While 15 NM out of meadows, I either missed my frequency change, or the controller was busy and hadn't gotten to me. Not wanting to violate airspace I decided to do an orbit outside of the D airspace. Once the controller got to me she explained that if I'm in contact with ATC for FF I am cleared into class D airspace at my destination. I thought she went out of here way to explain something to me I found very valuable. I consider PE to be one of the best training tools I have used in a long time, and getting these little lessons from controllers is a huge advantage in learning in my opinion.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Gotta love this one:
Once again thank you soooooo sooo much for everything. I passed my written test for my private and just listening to you youtube videos You have changed my life in just 1 week just by being passionate about the very 1 thing I hope to be as knowledgeable as you are... My wife already thinks I'm cheating with you because I talk about you and the site all the time. She even wanted to ask you "what are you wearing Jake from State Farm" lol. Will be talking to you shortly thanks again.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Got this one last night.
I'm a private pilot (got my certificate 3 years ago) and have been slowly working on an instrument rating since then. I'd known about PE for quite a while but hadn't pulled the trigger signing up because I didn't feel my sim (or my skills in it) were up to snuff. I finally took the plunge a few days ago, did a couple CAT ratings and decided to try the I-1 last night. In a spot of luck you were the controller for my flight! (I was [callsign removed]) Since I'm still fairly early in my training that was my first time copying a clearance or flying 'real' IFR. I was so nervous about that first flight. I sat there on the ramp for must've been 30 minutes thinking through the calls and prepping avionics for that simple little flight. I couldn't believe how realistic it all felt. I was overjoyed when I passed the I-1. It really helped boost my confidence and I can't wait for my next flight. My instructor is gonna lose his mind when we do our IFR cross country and I handle the radios like a pro.

I can't thank you enough for this tool, for your real world IFR series, and everything else you do to promote safe flying. (Also for being patient with me when I missed part of the CRAFT and forgot to ack my approach clearance)

Seriously, THANK YOU!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Saw this in #general on our Discord not long ago:
I took my discovery flight/1st flight lesson today. My instructor told me that I am the first person that he has met be able to get into a plane for the first time and be able to handle all coms. We went into our local Class C airspace and he had me handle coms the whole time. I have you guys to thank for that, so even through all the grief I give you guys I really do appreciate you. Thank you!!!!
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Thank you for being there -Pilotedge!

Another online network held an event in Liverpool UK near me yesterday. I thought I'd give it a try as I'd just got my P3D V4 traffic and models working.

Disaster. After 30 mins the comms went off and they resorted to typed messages on screen. Then of course there was no radar coverage after take off - 'call Unicom'. I returned on a flight inbound 30 mins later and still silent for me - not even text support. Frustrating!

I'm sure this was a one off and also very frustrating for the controllers of the Mersey Night event.

It occurred to me that maybe some scallywags nicked the radios!

Anyway - back to John Wayne with constant reliable service. You certainly get what you pay for here. Thank you.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

I did a very enjoyable flight this afternoon in a Citation 550 from KSNA-KSBP.

From the moment I logged on, I could hear in the background that there were several people struggling with the proper procedures, including selecting the proper tec routes, call signs, radio issues, etc... all this with one controller handling a good amount of traffic by herself.

Through it all, she never lost her patience or her cool and handled everything patiently, professionally, and efficiently. Eventually, she helped everybody find their way without affecting the quality of the experience for all... great job and well done!

Thanks as always.

Joey
Aviatorbja

Post by Aviatorbja »

the guy working the WUS Tracon on Weekends is spot on. Never misses a beat. Keeps me honest. Someone trained him well.

Thanks.
Brian Andonian
R/W: SEL, Commercial, CFI (expired)
Flight sim: Lancair Legacy, Turbine Duke N723BA
stephane cornelis

Post by stephane cornelis »

Hi guys,

I can only echo everyone's thoughts here! I m a pretty recent PPL owner in Belgium with around 80 hrs of real flight. It is a great tool and so impressed by the professionalism of all the controller on the server because they often get very busy to manage such large area. Thanks for being here and helping moving xplane from a game to a real training aid sim! I never stop promoting PE on Facebook. I have a cool home cockpit as well and I will post YouTube video of my PE flights to convince even more people to join us . If tolerated here, feel free to share my link. if not, do not hesitate to remove the link!
[/url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5C_x ... 14NbTcgwzg[/url]

Cheers
Stephane
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Last Saturday Feb 10, same smooth and easy experience. I am literally a lifetime pilot (sat in the DC-3 co-pilot seat when I was 7 years old). Simulator flying has been an on and off thing for years, mostly off due to postage stamp screens, low-power PC, and little patience. Well, it's all different now (as of last Summer 2017). I have a 55" Samsung 4K screen running full 4K, TrackIR Pro for looking around, X-Camera for flipping between looks at overhead and console and the "live" view.

Late in life I learned to fly the helicopter and spent 5 years in the left seat of a police helicopter as a volunteer/reserve deputy (20 year story here). The very BEST money I ever spent was getting my rotorcraft "add-on" certificate in 2013. Net result was 200+ hours of 407 PIC time while my "pilots" played with the FLIR etc. and I made my neck sore looking out the left window orbiting incident scenes.

I hung up my Tactical Flight Officer wings a year ago. A few months ago I tackled getting proficient at flying the helicopter on X-Plane which was a b**ch due to no feel and no depth perception, especially at night. That took me 20+ hours before I could lift off over a spot and set down precisely, and hover taxi precisely in gusty winds. We flew the 407 and the DreamFoil 407 is really well implemented. But I like the X-Trident 412 due to the old-fashioned IFR Collins FD-109 style instruments. So..

Back to last Saturday. I came up on PilotEdge, and it was like I was back in the real world. Yeah, I heard the controllers talking to tower and ground control at other airports, and I had to wait while guessing who the controllers were talking to yet I could not hear. Shades of talking to the sheriff's office dispatchers working multiple channels! No problem for this TFO. My only complaint relates to having to hear clearance delivery and readbacks while flying into Class ?? airspace. I had to fly way around the Camarillo Class D from NW to NE before I could establish 2-way radio communications with the tower controller while I listened to some stratosphere guys' complicated clearances.

Do not take this as a complaint!!!! I am 100% sold on PilotEdge.