audio recordings

Keith Smith

audio recordings

Post by Keith Smith »

We are working on server-side recording of the audio streams on the voice server. This will eventually allow for functionality similar to what you see on liveatc.net with the ability to listen in live, or to hear archived recordings. The recordings may be used for Quality Assurance and promotional purposes.
NM Doug

Re: audio recordings

Post by NM Doug »

Hi Keith -

I was thinking about LiveATC in relation to PE yesterday and logged on to the forum here to search for "LiveATC" - I'll add my two cents here...

I know a lot of flight instructors, online resources, and also the author of "Say Again, Please: Guide to Radio Communications" Bob Gardner recommend listening to LiveATC.net. LiveATC helps tune my ears (gradually) to get used to parsing information, but because many of the interesting Live ATC feeds (not sure about all of them) combine multiple frequencies on one station, such as a ground control, a tower, center, and approach for an area, while NOT necessarily having the next frequency the pilot is going to talk to, it's hard or impossible to follow the extended conversations comprising a single flight's progress.

I think a LiveATC-like feed, or set of feeds from PE would allow a listener to stay with a flight longer, making it easier to get a feel for the flow of communications over the course of a flight. Imagine being able to watch specific flights on the PE map (from the site's STATUS tab) while listening to the radio communications! I don't know if there would be any privacy concerns about this kind of following along, but if it worked out, it would be a great self-paced learning tool. Imagine, too, a CFI and student listening and watching the map together - the CFI could comment, elaborate, ask the student what the pilot should be saying or hearing next, etc. I have to think that flight instructors would be recommending PE right and left.

- Doug
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That is the plan, Doug. You nailed it :)
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Just have the system truncate the dead air and the entire recording will be filet mignon.