I do not hear other pilots, only ATC

arb65912

I do not hear other pilots, only ATC

Post by arb65912 »

I wondered if this is normal or it is something wrong on my side.

I can hear controller responding to other pilots but I do not hear the pilots.

If ATC is replying to a pilot , pilot has to be on the frequency so I also should be able to hear him, correct?

Or maybe it was an isolated incident?
Keith Smith

Re: I do not hear other pilots, only ATC

Post by Keith Smith »

You have to be within range of the pilot (based on your altitude and the altitude of the other pilot) AND you must be on the same frequency as the pilot.

Describe the incident where you thought you should hear the other pilot.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

I think that everything was fine, I just did not think hard enough ....lol
The pilot might have been far from me but close enough to the ATC so I did not hear him, only ATC.

It would be nice to verify it, if I knew someone who would want to try, it could be a nice test. Let's say 4 pilots practicing close traffic at the same airport.

A quick question, is the range to hear another pilot/ATC a constant one and if, how far on an average?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You can conduct a test if you wish, but I can assure you this has been thoroughly tested. The simplest thing to do is to show up at one of the focus airports during the beta and tune to the tower frequency. Any takeoff or landing clearance you from ATC should then be read back by the pilot (who will also be on the tower frequency), and you will hear them.

The pilot-ATC range is different than pilot-pilot range. ATC gets a 'boost', simulating their stronger transmitters. It varies by facility type (delivery, ground, tower, approach or center).

If you're flying prior to the launch, outside of beta hours when we're below minimum staffing, then one controller is likely to be working everything. In such a case, MOST of the transmissions you hear that are for other pilots are statistically likely to be for pilots that aren't on your frequency.

Again, though, feel free to test this any time. Another productive way to do it with other pilots would be to do some pattern work at a non-towered field.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

I believe without any doubt that everything was tested and there is no need for further testing.

After thinking about it, all is clear now, what I was describing happened before beta hours with probably one controller and now everything makes sense, I did not hear pilots because they were not on my frequency but I did hear controller talking to them.

I just wanted to get a better idea how the system works, all good now, thank you for clarification, Keith.