MyFLightRoute - Audio ATIS messages

kullery

MyFLightRoute - Audio ATIS messages

Post by kullery »

As a number of users have noticed, the audio ATIS messages are no longer available on MyFlightRoute. The text to speech audio provider I was using will no longer support automated requests for file conversions. I am looking into alternatives but it will likely be a while before I can identify and implement a solution for this.

In the meantime, the ATIS Player Page now has a text file available of the current ATIS message.

A suggested workaround for users of Chrome, is to install the "SpeakIt!" extension. This will allow your web browser to read the text file to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
stevekirks

Re: MyFLightRoute - Audio ATIS messages

Post by stevekirks »

Is this helpful:

http://responsivevoice.org/

Looks like it's a Javascript that uses the browser to render the voice.

Edit: HTML5 spec:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/speech-api/raw-f ... ts-section

...meaning if I even remotely understood JavaScript then it seems that an HTML browser would take the text you supply and create the sound locally with no provider in the middle required.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

It's too bad the voice ATIS is no longer available but I understand these things are beyond your control. That being said, that Responsivevoice looks interesting.

On a related note, I thought I read or heard that PilotEdge was going to integrate ATIS at some point. What is the status of that or was I just smoking something? 8-)
Last edited by twharrell on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Todd
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

(Edited because I may have spoken without proper knowledge of the subject.)
Last edited by Kyle.Sanders on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Sanders
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

How difficult would it be to link the ATIS frequency in the sim to the voice playback in Myflightroutes? Of course that would bring Myflightroutes into the commercial realm, which may pose some challenges.
Regards,

Todd
kullery

Post by kullery »

The tricky part is finding a service that provides an audio file as opposed to one which provides speech on demand (like ResponsiveVoice) via the client. While this may be considered "older" technology, with an audio file we get the ability to store and loop the file, the ability to start playback from a random point and much faster response time which makes for a much more realistic experience. I believe it also makes the eventual integration into the PE audio system much easier (but I'm no expert on that).
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Ken, I respect the fact you want a free text to voice service. However would you consider a reasonable commercial payware service provided you can get enough folks to contribute? By the way I am not suggesting that folks should have to pay to use the service but rather for you to get voluntary donations to keep the service operating. I certainly would contribute to the cause because having such a service really enhances my PilotEdge experience. Just a thought.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
kullery

Re: MyFlightRoute - Audio ATIS messages

Post by kullery »

twharrell wrote:Ken, I respect the fact you want a free text to voice service. However would you consider a reasonable commercial payware service provided you can get enough folks to contribute?
Todd
I am certainly open to covering a reasonably priced commercial service but I don't have any desire to get into handling contributions, etc. I certainly appreciate that a number of users have offered to contribute toward expenses but I just don't feel comfortable with that approach.

The problem is that the volume of messages for 38 airports (soon to be 53) operating 24x7 really adds up over the course of a year and the price of commercial plans (at least the ones I have seen so far) gets pretty high.

I'm not giving up on it, it'll just be a while before I can devote much time to it due to some other obligations I have.
stevekirks

Re: MyFlightRoute - Audio ATIS messages

Post by stevekirks »

kullery wrote:
twharrell wrote:Ken, I respect the fact you want a free text to voice service. However would you consider a reasonable commercial payware service provided you can get enough folks to contribute?
Todd
I am certainly open to covering a reasonably priced commercial service but I don't have any desire to get into handling contributions, etc. I certainly appreciate that a number of users have offered to contribute toward expenses but I just don't feel comfortable with that approach.

The problem is that the volume of messages for 38 airports (soon to be 53) operating 24x7 really adds up over the course of a year and the price of commercial plans (at least the ones I have seen so far) gets pretty high.

I'm not giving up on it, it'll just be a while before I can devote much time to it due to some other obligations I have.
I can work with someone to write the code for the web service. I can also get an account to host it. Anyone interested PM me. The goal would be to feed the audio back to MFR only and not use it for any other service.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
kullery

Post by kullery »

We got moved into our new house and I finally found some time to test a new "text to speech" audio service over the past week or so. It seems to be working pretty well. The only issue I have detected has been the occasional mispronounciation of "wind".

It is currently limited to 1000 audio messages per day. In order to stay below that limit, ATIS audio message updates have been disabled between 8:00z - 14:00z.

ATIS audio messages are available at http://www.myflightroute.com/atisplay.php or on the CRAFT page for your selected flight route.

Thank you to the users that provided feedback during the testing and please let me know if you notice any issues.

Keith- the terms of use for the new TTS service do not restrict the use of the resulting audio file so there should be no issues if/when you wish to integrate this functionality.