Let's talk about the PilotEdge Expansion!

twharrell

Let's talk about the PilotEdge Expansion!

Post by twharrell »

i've been somewhat surprised that there haven't been a lot of discussion about Keith's planned expansion. This is certainly an exciting development and I was hoping to get some idea about where things are in this process. A few questions I have are:

What is this expansion going to look like? Meaning are you going to open these new areas one at a time or are you releasing in groups? If so, what area will open first?

Are these new areas being staffed by a whole new group of controllers and, if so, how are you selecting these controllers?

What is the proposed time frame for the expansion (don't you just hate that question)?

What was the major driver of the expansion and why the areas you chose?

I hope you are planning a huge expansion party/PilotEdge event to kick off the expansion.

This is truly an exciting new chapter for PilotEdge and I commend you Keith for being able to take this leap. It is a reflection of the passion and and vision you have for your company. Flight simulation has to be one of the unique hobbies that has spurred the advancement and development of its real world counterpart. There truly is a unique relationship between swimming and real world flying and I know of no other platform where this relationship is vividly displayed and fostered. PilotEdge is very unique in that respect.
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Re: Let's talk about the PilotEdge Expansion!

Post by Keith Smith »

Todd, I suspect the lack of a timeframe is the major reason for a lack of buzz.

We are waiting on the last bits of information from the FAA, then we can post a launch date.

the controllers will be selected the same way we select controllers for zla.

this will be a new facility with a separate pool of controllers. there might be some cross over of controllers, but we will be mindful to ensure that it isn't to the deteiment of zla.

the area will be opened all at once as far as I know. the bimonthly bonus fields may not start up immediately, but if not, will start soon after.

in terms of why we picked this area, we wanted something that would appeal to jet pilots while still leveraging zla. We didn't want a gap in coverage between zla and the new area.

yes, we'll definitely be having some events to support the launch! Thanks for the kind words and support, although I'm still working out the link between swimming and flying :)
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Keith Smith wrote:
this will be a new facility with a separate pool of controllers. there might be some cross over of controllers, but we will be mindful to ensure that it isn't to the deteiment of zla.
Thank goodness... I can't stand listening to some of the old jokers anymore! :twisted: :mrgreen:
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Keith wrote:Thanks for the kind words and support, although I'm still working out the link between swimming and flying :)
Swimming...... should read simming. :? Dadgum smartphone autocorrect sometimes makes me feel like I am swimming. :lol:
Regards,

Todd
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Next step is opening up international routes 8-)
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Nelson L. wrote:Next step is opening up international routes 8-)
Speaking of give an inch expect a mile....how bout CYVR?

....technically international right 8-)
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Keith, what "bits" from the FAA are you referring to? What type of relationship, if any, do you have with the FAA and in what way are they involved?
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Nelson, no, the next step is to complete the expansion and enjoy the new airspace!

Todd, the information is used to assemble our own intellectual property which allows us to model and run the airspace. more than that I'd rather not say.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

I wanted to add just a little something that has been "troubling" me. I happen to be of that "age" that predates Facebook. I also happen to be one of "those people" who doesn't get/want/use Facebook.

My beef? Making PE related announcements only on Facebook.

I read the online forums on a regular basis so I should be "up to date" with what's going on PE. It just seems to me that I would not know about the expansion plans if other people didn't just happen to mention it on the PE forum.

I understand the importance of social media. Most any business owner that ignores social media would do so at their own peril. However I just don't think we should assume that everybody has a Facebook account and is actively using Facebook to follow the PE feed.

Therefore I would like to respectively request that any announcement made on Facebook also be make on the PE home page or in the PE forums.

<end rant>

Thank-you.

PS I'm not going to ask when PE will expand into "x" area. I think the service is great. Further I feel it's more important for PE to maintain itself as a long term business. In the end, if PE doesn't make $$ it won't survive. So I'm OK with taking it slow.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I would like to respectively request that any announcement made on Facebook also be make on the PE home page or in the PE forums.
I respectfully second the request. There are sooo many reasons I closed my Facebook account.....

Don