Live ATIS??

cfronze

Live ATIS??

Post by cfronze »

I absolutely love using PilotEdge and will gladly be spending $20 a month to use it I just wondered will there be some sort of ATIS system for PilotEdge. If im at the airport I can get FSX default ATIS through the proper frequency but when im on an arrival into an airport well I cant pick up the default ATIS so I was wondering is there some program that you guys are working on for this?
Tim Krajcar

Re: Live ATIS??

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Hi cfonze,

I think this is covered by a known issue on the FSX client (http://pilotedge.net/page/msfs_issues). Eventually you will be able to use the 'BOTH' option on your audio panel and receive audio from both COM1 and COM2. You would then set COM2 to the ATIS frequency, pick up MSFS's default ATIS just like you do on the ground, and be able to hear both at the same time, as we do in the realworld.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
David Carman

Post by David Carman »

What Tim said. Also, as in the real world, if you are too far out to pick up an ATIS but want weather information for an airport, you can always ask the controller and if they have time they can look it up and read it to you.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The long term goal is to utilize a multi platform text to speech engine and then have customized ATIS messages on a per field basis that incorporate the actual weather and the approach/runways in use, per our SOP's (rather than what the sim might have selected), as well as listing runway closures.

In the mean time, if you're using 'real weather' in your sim, you should be able to use the sim's built-in ATIS to at least get a feel for the weather at the field. The runway (if mentioned) should be ignored, though as it may not match what is actually being used.
Falconflyer

Post by Falconflyer »

MSFS ATIS has a range of about 60nm at all altitudes. The higher you are the further out you should be able to recieve, so at FL390 for example you should be able to hear ATIS 150nm away or so. Most airlines today use ACARS anyways so MSFS ATIS is not necessary. To simulate ACARS use the .atis command in SB4 or the weather panel in FSINN. Knowing the WX at your destination is crucial in a jet before you start a descent because of the speed and the increased fuel burn at lower altitudes.