Hardware

philsal

Hardware

Post by philsal »

Headset with PTT. Is there a recommended model of headset (USB?) that I should get for use with PilotEdge?

Thanks.
Keith Smith

Re: Hardware

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Phil,

The short answer is that USB is likely to be the way to go, unless you have two separate sound devices in your computer already. Any USB headset will do.

The longer answer: Fom an audio standpoint, think of this as you would any other conferencing application (Skype, Teamspeak, etc). It is often useful to have the 'primary' sounds continuing to come through the existing speakers that are attached to the computer (in the case of a flight sim, this would include engine noise, ambient noise, annunciators, etc), while the spoken audio (ATC audio in this case) comes through a headset.

To make this happen, you need two separate sound devices in your computer. A standalone analog headset has standard audio jacks, and plugs into an existing sound device. In this case, you would need to have TWO soundcards in your computer. Most people do not have this configuration.

USB headsets actually serve as their own soundcard, so if you only have a single soundcard in your computer already, then a USB headset is the way to go! It will show up as a new audio device in Windows. Make the headset your primary recording device, but keep your speakers as the primary playback device. When you run PilotEdge, you'll be able to specify the playback device to use specifically for ATC, at which point, you'll nominate the USB headset as the device of choice.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Phil,

I neglected to address the PTT portion of your question. You do not need to look for a headset with specific PTT capability. The PTT functionality comes about by way of a button press on the yoke and/or holding down a key on the keyboard.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

y'know, the usb headset may be an interesting way to go. Right now I achieve a good balance by running the headset and plugin on my main box, with almost all of X-planes sounds turned off. Then for engine sounds I have my rumble seat plugged into my second computer. Seems to work pretty well, but my rumble seat does not work in other applications.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That post assumes two computers, which is not the norm for most people, afaik :)
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

True, but Xplanes makes it easy to add more computers. I'm up to 3 so far. There are a few systems that have as many as 11.
dmtroyer

Post by dmtroyer »

Bluetooth headsets also work well for similar reasons to what was listed for USB headsets.