connecting with atc

muzz

connecting with atc

Post by muzz »

When you are departing a non-tower airport, outside of Appch control area but within LAX Ctr area, how do you contact atc?
Keith Smith

Re: connecting with atc

Post by Keith Smith »

You can use the center frequency published on the approach plate for that approach, or a nearby airport. Alternatively, you can use a low enroute chart to identify the nearest center frequency.

In the future, we'll likely have a 1-800 number you can call to pick up your clearance on the ground, too. It's been discussed, believe it or not :)

Let me know if that helps. Name an airport and we'll give some examples if you like.
muzz

Post by muzz »

Yesterday, I flew from BLH to BFD - probably outside of appch airspace but
in LAX airspace.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Check out http://airnav.com/airport/kblh in the communications section.

Also, check the vor-a plate for the airport. The local ctr freq is available in either place in this case.

If it had no approaches, you could check a nearby airport that did.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I should also mention, if you use skyvector.com to look on the L-4 enroute chart, centered on BLH, move your eye northwest towards Twenty Nine Palms VOR (TNP). You'll see a block of text just west of TNP that looks like a postage stamp which reads:

LOS ANGELES
Twenty Nine Palms
128.15 285.6

That is another way of finding the closest CTR freqs, too.

We have modeled the locations of all of the CTR transmitters for ZLA and ZOA on PE, so the frequencies should work.

Keith
muzz

Post by muzz »

Yes, the enroute chart was the first place I looked. The 5 May chart, which is the latest I have
doesn't have that artcc box west of TNP, however, it is listed on the BLH approaches, - didn't
think to look there.... Thanks.
pmontanarella

Post by pmontanarella »

So just as an example if I'm approaching PGS on J64 I would contact Peach Springs Los Angeles center on 128.075?

This really helped,
Thanks,
Pietro
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

pmontanarella wrote:So just as an example if I'm approaching PGS on J64 I would contact Peach Springs Los Angeles center on 128.075?

This really helped,
Thanks,
Pietro
Drop the "Peach Springs" bit - That's just the location of the radio antenna. Otherwise that's the idea, yes.
pmontanarella

Post by pmontanarella »

Alex Stjepanovic wrote:
pmontanarella wrote:So just as an example if I'm approaching PGS on J64 I would contact Peach Springs Los Angeles center on 128.075?

This really helped,
Thanks,
Pietro
Drop the "Peach Springs" bit - That's just the location of the radio antenna. Otherwise that's the idea, yes.
Roger thanks,
Pietro