XPlane Multi Monitor Crashes

zaruthoj

XPlane Multi Monitor Crashes

Post by zaruthoj »

I've been having a blast flying on PilotEdge. Thanks for the awesome service!

Sadly, I've had to reduce the quality of my setup in order to run PilotEdge. Any help figuring this out would be highly appreciated!

Setup:
XPlane 10.5
Ubuntu Linux 16.04
3 monitors running from the same machine.
Separate XPlane instance per monitor.

This works great without PilotEdge. If the PilotEdge plugin is installed however, then the third XPlane instance that comes up will crash 10-30 seconds after syncing up with the master. Two instances work just fine.

When it crashes, I get the following error in my terminal:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'pt::estream*'
Aborted (core dumped)

I followed the multi-machine instructions, but it didn't stop the crashes.
https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/connect-xplane

Thanks for any help you can provide.
wmburns

Re: XPlane Multi Monitor Crashes

Post by wmburns »

Please confirm the order that each PC is brought up. The instructions indicate the slave(s) are brought up first.

Confirm that PE is installed on all 3 PC's.

Confirm that only the Master PC is used to "connect" to PE.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you're running 3 instances on a single machine, can you verify that you have a separate IP address available for each instance, and that each instance of X-Plane has its own folder for the plugin, with it's own version of VSProBindIP.ini with the unique IP for that instance?

Also, can you verify that the master machine is set up to talk to the visuals (in xplane net connections) using those individual IP's?

If all those potential issues are resolved, then I suspect you'll be able to fix this. The setup that you're running is the same as what PFC uses in their AATD's with us and it works fine. However, if it isn't configured just right, it will not work.
zaruthoj

Post by zaruthoj »

Thanks for the responses! It's working perfectly now.

It would be great if this setup were documented on https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/connect-xplane. I'm sure others would find it quite useful.

The bit I was missing was the part about using multiple IPs. Just in case others want to learn from my experience, here's my setup:

My main IP address is 192.168.1.10
I also have two other IP addresses configured on the same network interface. Those are 192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.12.

xplane/
__master/
____Full XPlane install lives here.
____Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/VSProSlaves.ini
______Contents: "2"
__left/
____All files and folders symlinked to master other than "Resources" and "Output"
____Output/
______Contents: "0"
____Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/VSProBindIP.ini (does not exist - create it yourself)
______Contents: "192.168.1.11"
__right/
____All files and folders symlinked to master other than "Resources" and "Output"
____Output/
______Contents: "0"
____Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/VSProBindIP.ini (does not exist - create it yourself)
______Contents: "192.168.1.12"

I discovered that I only need to use separate IP addresses for PilotEdge. Xplane is fine sharing a single IP so long as the UDP ports don't conflict. That's important because I couldn't find any way to tell XPlane which IP address to listen on.
XPlane master sends visuals to left and right over 127.0.0.1. I've configured different UDP ports for each instance so they don't conflict (configured under Settings -> Net Connections -> Data). Here are my ports:
master:
__Receive: 49000
__Send: 49001
left:
__Receive: 39000
__Send: 39001
right:
__Receive: 39000
__Send: 39001
anam

Post by anam »

zaruthoj, wmburns, and Keith - Just wanted to thank you for your posts, which were pivotal in guiding me in setting up PE on a 2 PC commercial sim (Precision Flight Controls GTX) with three visuals. Even the traffic shows up on the simulated G1000 hardware. It's a fantastic setup, albeit only compatible with XP 9.7 for now. :(