2nd Chances...

ArmyEODtech

2nd Chances...

Post by ArmyEODtech »

I believe in 2nd chances... sometimes even 3rd and 4th (I'm an idiot). I left Pilotedge earlier during the year after trying it out for a couple of months (maybe a few) because I didn't see the value in having a controller nearly lose his mind because he did not posses the adequate amount of patience to deal with simple misunderstandings or "improperly trained pilots".

I come back after a semi-long hiatus and by golly not even a week goes by before it happens again (same controller I had the little run-in the first time)! Controller becomes upset when I ask for clarification and even becomes agitated when I voiced my experience and my unfamiliarity with his procedure; nothing to get uptight about, chill brah!

I have been flying (like an actual plane) for the past 13 years and I have never met controllers as bitter and down right angry and impatient as some of the people that PilotEdge employs. I actually have asked myself while talking to them "Is this dude forrreal?!" I love the concept of continuous coverage, but if that continuous coverage so happens to be with that unpleasant controller..... perhaps not; I just rather keep my money and stay on VATSIM :lol:

I'm having a hard time swallowing the cost of getting "yelled" at over the internet, when I have NEVER been yelled at by a controller in real life, not even when I really should've been in trouble; for FREE! Every time I go up and fly it's nothing but smiles and helpful controllers, a huge contrast compared to every time I log in to PilotEdge where I always log on and say to myself "Hope I don't piss them off today!"

Next time I should just tell the controller :: New York Accent :: "Hey! Relax I'm having fun here!"

Sincerely Disappointed,

Manny Ramirez
Keith Smith

Re: 2nd Chances...

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll contact you privately.
Sabreliner

Post by Sabreliner »

I will have to confirm this kind of experience. I really like the concept of Pilotedge with it's coverage times, but I have to agree with ArmyEODtech, with some of the controllers (not all) being bitter. I can appreciate their workload and the fact that some of the newer pilots can make things difficult, but I have one controller in particular I flat out will not fly with anymore because his attitude is so caustic that it makes flying with him unbearable. I don't see the point in being miserable if I'm the one paying the fee.

One post I read awhile ago suggested posting the controller schedules (you could use reference numbers instead of their names). This way, I could see when certain controllers are online and simply not fly when they're on. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to start a fight here, it's just that it can be frustrating when a controller really brings down the experience, especially since I've had really good ones too. Just my 2 cents..

Alan
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

This is a tricky position. I've requested detailed information privately, but without that info, it's unclear how we can directly address the issue. Publishing a controller list is not something I'm ready to do. The proper solution would be to ensure that our controllers are providing a level of service which is reasonable. Simply avoiding a particular controller would be a last resort if we were unwilling to address the core problem. That is not the case.

For now, I'll have a higher level discussion with all of the controllers about this issue.
Anders S

Post by Anders S »

Well. I had a problem with that a few months ago but then it was my own fault. After that I am running multiple checks and planning before I fly and making sure I do all things correct. Easier for myself and the atc. All people are different. Maybe a misunderstanding from pilot or atc? Remember this is like flying in real world. I think the atc would have yelled in real world if you did an error there too ;-)

Not trying to start something here. Just saying that things have always 2 sides.

Happy flying :-)

-Anders-
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

To reassure potential PE users it's only fair to say none of the above correlates with my experience online and listening to other users over the last 12 months.
I've always found each controller to be totally professional, patient when needed and helpful.
The worst I've heard was recently was when a very patient controller tried repeatedly with a new pilot. Eventually he said 'that's two pilot deviations could I suggest you view the workshops'.

The workshops themselves are lengthy and comprehensive.

IMHO even experienced pilots should view as a minimum the shorter Youtube videos relating to each training stage before logging on. Also initially listening on the ground or even on the Pilotedge Receiver - just to 'tune in'.

My vote is 100% confidence in the controllers - treat them right, ask questions and learn from your mistakes and you'll find PE is a great fun learning tool and experience.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Not to discredit the sensitivity and opinion of the OP, but I think it's important to offer other views here. I've been on the network coming up on two years and a couple hundred online hours - add to that countless hours viewing Twitch streams of PE controllers and PE pilots - and I've never, ever heard "yelling". I'd challenge anyone to pull up an audio archive with any controller "yelling". I've often heard stern rebukes when they are indicated, which actually mimic real world ATC very well, particularly when deviations are occurring in busy airspace or could lead to possible loss of aircraft separation. Most of the time, particularly with unprepared pilots, the patience of these controllers is beyond anything I would be able to muster if I had their job.

I've certainly had my share of errors and deviations. I'm always impressed by the professionalism - and realism - of the PE controllers. I also appreciate that deviations, even small ones, are called out by the controllers rather than ignored, as it adds to the realism and immersion. It keeps us all sharp and better pilots. Just my .02.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

Hi ArmyEOD!

Army Combat Engineer here, and a RW pilot out of SEE, MYF, CCB and elsewhere.

That said, I'm curious as to where you fly. I fly in socal, and I have been LITERALLY yelled at in Socal, in a situation that was NOT a pilot deviation. I've heard it on socal and tower in class D recently too.

It's happened on PE as well, but not as often or as harsh as RW in Socal. Just my experiences, in the same "Neighborhood" on PE and RW.

So, like we NCOs say, "No thin skins"... I think you will find that the better you fly, the less this will happen.

Further, part of the draw of PE is that people take it as seriously as they do in real life. When I get careless and fly on PE un-prepared, I screw up. It's a good object lesson.

PE is a good gatekeeper for me. I found that if I'm not prepared, I don't log in. If I want to practice something and want the freedom to screw up, I stay off line.

Not trying to get under your skin man. (especially with the EOD\12B thing!), but PE is best enjoyed when taken seriously.

Best of luck... And don't cut the blue wire. Just BIP it and watch the show!

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

Oh... And when I get chastised by a PE controller...

It inevitably WAS a pilot deviation. I try to do all those ONLINE, rather than in flight!

;-)
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
aventura

Post by aventura »

I also disagree with the OP. English is not my native language, and I have only flown virtual planes. As a consequence I have made hundreds of mistakes while on PE. In all cases the controllers have been firm but polite in pointing out my mistake, often providing useful advice on how to avoid them next time.
They have also been quite flexible. For example, a week ago I was trying the CAT 9 when after a weather update I suddenly found myself in IMC. I told the controller and asked to open an IFR plan to my destination, so I could continue my flight. I assumed that by switching to IFR my Cat9 test would be invalid, but after landing, to my surprise the controller gave me a pass for the test. He was under no obligation to do it, and I certainly didn't ask for it, but I really appreciated his gesture.

In conclusion, my experience here has been overall extremely positive so far.