VHF Distortion

ErichB

VHF Distortion

Post by ErichB »

Hi all

Does Pilot Edge have the option to use VHF distortion on received transmissions? For me this greatly enhances the immersion of a real ATC environment. I have been on VATSIM for a few years and its a feature I love. Keen to jump onboard with PE and hope to see further expansion of the coverage areas with time.

Cheers
Erich
Kyle.Sanders

Re: VHF Distortion

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

There is no option for that.

To me- it would defeat the purpose... many use this service to perfect their communication skills. You first need to learn what is being said, then you are able to better hear it in real life through all the static because you now KNOW/predict better what is being said.

There are third party addons you can put on your computer such as voicemeeter you can install on your system to manipulate the audio quality and tone of sounds. This allows you to distort the audio coming into your headset and leaving your mic clear. This serves your need for that distortion while leaving it clear for everyone else trying to train.
Kyle Sanders
ErichB

Post by ErichB »

Good to know. Thanks Kyle.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We have been working on VHF/UHF simulation for the DCS client. When that's completed, we'll port it to the other clients as an option.
John Bakelaar

Post by John Bakelaar »

That's welcome news, Keith.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I'm so used to life without it I don't know what to think.. :)
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
skiselkov

Post by skiselkov »

Please, please, please, DO bring it over to the other sims as well. If people feel uncomfortable about it, make it a switchable option.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

I agree with skiselkov. A switchable option, please. If people want distortion, introduce it themselves, or turn up their engine noise to increase the difficulty of hearing things. Unfortunately, if things get unclear, we will end up having too many "Say again" interchanges, which will only serve to make things difficult when one controller is handling several pilots in different locations - unlike actuality. Gosh, I spent a lot of money buying a class leading headset RW, so that I have the best chance of hearing what a machine gun controller is saying! :D

It's worth mentioning that a lot of apparent distortion in AM VHF airplane radios is down to the fact that so much of the GA fleet is old, and the radios are also old.... Components do deteriorate over time. I find that new radios are miles better, even though aviation communication tech. is old hat.
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

My students at the flight school would probably not appreciate added distortion on the radio. For learning comms I don't think it'd be helpful. I understand the appeal if the goal is immersion though.
John Bakelaar

Post by John Bakelaar »

If you check out UniversRadio or Simple Radio that are used in DCS mulitplayer. You will hear a radio effect but the transmission is crystal clear. A similar plugin would add a dimension of realism. There must be a way to make it optional for those wanting no effect whatsoever.