Picking up IFR clearance from the ground

aventura

Picking up IFR clearance from the ground

Post by aventura »

Sorry for the noob's question, but how do I figure out what frequency to contact when picking up IFR clearance from the ground at untowered airports?

Thanks!
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Picking up IFR clearance from the ground

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Welcome to the network!
This and MANY MANY other questions can be answered by watching the video workshops
http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops

And running through the ratings
http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/training ... m-overview

To answer your question, look on the AirNav site for that airport. In the airport communications section, look for the facility that provides APPROACH/DEPARTURE services. Pick up your clearance with them.

If it is a facility outside of a TRACON, such as L35 airport, there will be a note to tell you the ARTCC "center" that provides radar services in and out of there.

Another way is to pull up one of the published instrument approaches to your departure airport and look in the frequency sections for the radar position.
Kyle Sanders
aventura

Post by aventura »

Thanks Kyle,

This is really helpful. I did watch several workshops (they are excellent!) and I am working my way through the pilot rating (I7 currently, need to do the I8 and this is why I was asking the question). I know in real life one would call FSS, but this is of course not possible on pilotedge.

Andrea
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Andrea,

The I-8 transcript and cockpit video explain how to get the clearance while on the ground.
aventura

Post by aventura »

Thanks, I should have checked it before asking ;-)