IFR Depature Question - L35

Rick Stratman

IFR Depature Question - L35

Post by Rick Stratman »

Hello All

I was thinking about this the other day when planning a FSE flight out of L35 to KPSP

Weather @ L35 was IFR and would need to depart IFR from L35, as looking I only found a GPS departure procedure but some of the text in the plate might indicate a /A could used as there is climb minimal and direction from RWY 8 to a point on the airway - so would it be legal to depart IFR in /A plane?

Now when I looked at the Take off Mins it had this text
"TAKEOFF MINIMUMS: Rwy 8, 1200-2 or std. with a min. climb of 282' per NM to 8000. "
Would this allow me to depart IFR in /A plane however this potion does not specify a direction but think what is the departure plate and what is here, I would thought I would be able to do depart IFR legally.

Not saying it would be smart, but looking to see what is legal and what is not.

Let the discussion start :)

Thanks

Rick S.
rtataryn

Re: IFR Depature Question - L35

Post by rtataryn »

Rick,

"Takeoff Minimums" are just that. The minimum ceiling/visibility requirement and climb performance of your aircraft. You need those conditions to be able to fly it. It doesn't give lateral or vertical direction or allow for /A.

The OKAKO ONE plate clearly states the equipment requirements: Slant E, F and G. Since there is no way of identifying OKAKO with /A. Attached and highlighted. Hope that helps.
OKAKO1.jpg
OKAKO1.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

The notes on the plate and RNAV in the title indicate that it's GPS only. The takeoff minimums say that the published procedure protects you from terrain so long as you climb at 282'/nm to 8000 (and at least the standard 200'/nm after that). Or, if you have at least a 1200' ceiling and 2 miles visibility, that's sufficient to see and avoid obstacles while you're climbing at the standard gradient. All of this is dependent on you flying the published procedure, not some arbitrary heading.

Part 91 operators aren't required to fly the published ODP, but at a place like Big Bear I wouldn't want to be making it up on my own if the weather requires IFR. If you're a /A aircraft, you're going to be waiting for better weather at L35.
golfpilot

Post by golfpilot »

However, if you are flying part 91 you DO NOT have to fly the published departure or ODP if it is not a part of your clearance. You do have to adhere to takeoff minimums though. So no matter what route you decide to take to your first fix you need to climb at 282' per NM to 8000 ft. Which isn't really that difficult even in a 172 on a standard day. At 90 knots that's something close to 450' a minute

Under part91 a pilot can takeoff in IMC with a /a airplane. And the pilot could navigate to OKACO /a. Fly heading 050 then intercept the airway... note the pilot is responsible for terrain avoidance to the fix, so use discretion.
Andrew Roberts
Real World Private Pilot w/instrument
Walnut Creek, CA
PE callsign: N56PA
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

golfpilot wrote:However, if you are flying part 91 you DO NOT have to fly the published departure or ODP if it is not a part of your clearance. You do have to adhere to takeoff minimums though. So no matter what route you decide to take to your first fix you need to climb at 282' per NM to 8000 ft. Which isn't really that difficult even in a 172 on a standard day. At 90 knots that's something close to 450' a minute

Under part91 a pilot can takeoff in IMC with a /a airplane. And the pilot could navigate to OKACO /a. Fly heading 050 then intercept the airway... note the pilot is responsible for terrain avoidance to the fix, so use discretion.
The minimum climb gradient is based on flying the ODP. It provides no protection if you're flying any other routing.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

450 fpm to 8,000 in a C172 on a standard day? Improbable.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII