IFR Ratings question

Phil_ANW

IFR Ratings question

Post by Phil_ANW »

Actually I have a couple questions.

1. In the IFR ratings transcripts I noticed after the clearence is readback by the pilot, Delivery will respond with an "information" code, i.e. "information Sierra". The pilot would then repeat "information Sierra" when contacting ground for taxi. I've yet to be given this information after reading clearence readback. So the question is do I tell ground that I have IFR clearence when contacting ground if not given "information Sierra"?

2. I notcied on IFR rating one I neglected to put down my navigation code, i.e. "slant golf". My question is do I tell Delivery my navigation code and or put the navigation code in my filed IFR plan "/G"? I've been told both ways.

Thanks for the help!
Keith Smith

Re: IFR Ratings question

Post by Keith Smith »

Phil_ANW wrote:Actually I have a couple questions.

1. In the IFR ratings transcripts I noticed after the clearence is readback by the pilot, Delivery will respond with an "information" code, i.e. "information Sierra". The pilot would then repeat "information Sierra" when contacting ground for taxi. I've yet to be given this information after reading clearence readback. So the question is do I tell ground that I have IFR clearence when contacting ground if not given "information Sierra"?
The transcript assumes an ATIS system is in place. At some point, ATC either issues you the weather, or you tell ATC that you have the weather. The latter can be achieved by stating the ATIS code that you have received from your simulator's built-in ATIS (for now), or you can simply say, "have numbers." Real world ATIS also contains information about taxiway closures or any other timely, pertinent information about the airport, however, for our purposes, stating that you have the numbers is fine for now.
2. I notcied on IFR rating one I neglected to put down my navigation code, i.e. "slant golf". My question is do I tell Delivery my navigation code and or put the navigation code in my filed IFR plan "/G"? I've been told both ways.
Ideally, you would always enter the equipment suffix in the flight plan. This is how it's done in the real world. If you need to AMEND your equipment suffix (ie, your GPS or DME becomes inoperative), you can certainly tell the controller and they will amend it.
Phil_ANW

Re: IFR Ratings question

Post by Phil_ANW »

That makes sense. Thanks Keith!