Stepping on Other Aircraft

chazzerz17

Stepping on Other Aircraft

Post by chazzerz17 »

Hello Everyone,
I am fairly new to PilotEdge. I am having a problem where I seem to step on other aircraft on other frequencies when I am contacting ATC. In the real world I understand that different frequencies will be controlled by different controllers but I cannot hear the other aircraft I am stepping on. Any help for this issue would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chazzerz17
kleistad

Re: Stepping on Other Aircraft

Post by kleistad »

When you first tune in to a freq, dont start talking straight away. If nobody`s talking then go ahead. If some one is speaking, listen to what is being said, determine if there will be a readback and time your call from that. This will happen in real life as you will not always be in range of the other aircrafts speaking to ATC. Except from on tower, ground and clearence. If you hear someone getting a clearence, you can expect the readback to be a bit longer.

So timing is everything. After a couple of flights you get in the flow of it :)
Kristoffer L.
N187KT
Ryan B

Re: Stepping on Other Aircraft

Post by Ryan B »

Yeah the issue is definitely more pronounced on PE where one or two controllers work many freqs and you can't always hear readbacks. Best to wait 5 seconds when you tune up a new freq, or wait if you hear ATC speaking... there's probably a readback coming that you may or may not hear from another pilot.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL