Callsigns

Andres.Moya

Callsigns

Post by Andres.Moya »

Hi,

I am about to start training with PilotEdge. I just finished PPL course in Spain. My communication is very weak, I will run some hours of simulations before proceed with hour building in Europe or California.

Here in Aerodyanamics Malaga school we use callsign constructed from FTO assigned code. Day flight number and last letters of registrations.

So if it is a second flight of the day for C172 EC-HYA, callsign on FP will be DNC02YA.

As PE simulate reality around California I want to know situation with callsigns in the training area. I hear that people use just registration mark?

What should I use? What callsighn should I use then renting airplane in California for hour building?

Thank you
ngoiz

Re: Callsigns

Post by ngoiz »

Hola Andres!

Also from Spain here! Welcome to PE!

The way flight schools use sort of 'airline callsigns' in Spain is somewhat strange and I have not seen it in other parts of the world.

In the US you most normally use the aircraft's registration as your callsign. You can drop the N and substitute for your aircraft model. The abbreviated callsign (once you hear the controller use it) is the last three characters so an example:

C172 with reg N123AB
Can be said as november 1 2 3 alpha bravo or Skyhawk 1 2 3 Alpha Bravo. The abbreviation would be november 1 alpha bravo or skyhawk 1 alpha bravo.

I suggest you follow the Pilotedge CAT training program to get used to the US airspace and procedures and if you have any questions fire away.

Hope this helps!
Norberto
EASA and FAA PPL
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Kyle Sanders
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Andres.Moya wrote:
So if it is a second flight of the day for C172 EC-HYA,
Hi, you could login with the callsign ECHYA. For calling ATC you would speak phonetic letters... you could say "John Wayne ground, Echo Charlie Hotel Yankee Alpha, a C172, west ramp with ATIS, ready for taxi, remaining in pattern"

Don't be surprised if the controller replies to you by simply stating the letters of your callsign "Eee Cee Ech Why Eh" -they can do that, I I'd do it in real life because it's much quicker.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Andres.Moya

Post by Andres.Moya »

Thank you everyone for clarification. May try first flight today.